2.4GHz MBP New Monitor Needed... ViewSonic or HP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nuggetWRX, Jul 9, 2009.

1. nuggetWRX macrumors newbie

here's my laptop... 2.4GHz MacBook Pro, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics card, 4GB DDR2 RAM.

I tried to run a ViewSonic NX2232w, but without any drivers its stretching the picture so I'm looking for a new monitor. Here's what I have narrowed it down to, I want to know if any of you genius' know if it's compatible (i'm not being sarcastic on the genius part you guys have helped me out a lot before)

HP 2159m
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/display/display//3/storefronts/FV585AA%23ABA

OR

ViewSonic VX2260wm
    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/x-series/vx2260wm.htm

I know ViewSonic makes a driver for Mac because I have downloaded it and all it needs is a serial number to install... but there was a video of a new MacBook Pro (which is the newest generation, i have the one right before the ones out now) with an HP 2159m working flawlessly using DVI without any drivers needed (which is what I'd be connecting either monitor to my MBP with). So any advice fellas?

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I have the HP 2009M (Same as 2159M but 2009M is 20in) and it looks great so I recommend the HP 2159M.

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

You do not need drivers to work a monitor. Those only aide you in the calibration, which frankly you can do yourself just fine with the monitor's settings and OS X's calibration tool.

4. nuggetWRX thread starter macrumors newbie

the drivers help with resolution, correct? i am running 1280x1024 on the NX2232w right now because my MBP is not recognizing the ViewSonic monitor as itself, it only shows up as a "VGA Display" which is its default setting. it is taking that 1280x1024 picture and stretching it to fit this display and its bothering me because I do design work and editing on my MBP and if it's stretched then i'm not exactly designing what i think i am.

i am hoping the driver allows me to run 1080p output from my 2.4GHz MBP (if it's capable of that, which is my other question) at the ViewSonic VX2260wm or HP 2159m's 1920x1080 native (max) resolution.

5. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have the HP 2159. Bought it last week. So far I like it. Bright and clear screen

6. nuggetWRX thread starter macrumors newbie

any other opinions? i'm leaning towards the viewsonic on a friend's recommendation otherwise the HP would take the cake.

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I would get the HP if I were you, they are great.

8. nuggetWRX thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i am thinking the HP has proven to be more mac friendly... my friend knows i don't want lag on my tv and that has proven to be a problem with HDMI cables in the past (i'm using a ps3) so he's pushing me towards the viewsonic for the faster response time (2ms instead of 5ms)... is that a noticeable difference when playing games or watching movies?

9. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I don't think you will notice 2ms from 5ms. I watch movies on my HP 2009M and I find no lag, picture quality is great.

10. cwebb15 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't count on viewsonic's quality anymore. I had a horrible experience with their customer service and a $1200 screen going bad after just one 1 year. Needless to say I've cancelled all viewsonic orders and still don't order anything made by them (they lost about $20k in business because of it).

I did own one of the new 24" hp monitors briefly (sold it and bought an apple cinema), and it wasn't too bad. Just avoid viewsonic is my $.2

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It seems you are connecting using a VGA adapter. Does the monitor have both DVI and VGA adapters? In that case just using a DVI adapter for the MacBook might help.

There is the big fight in the monitor market to get smaller numbers in the response time department - it doesn't necessarily mean that the monitor is really better. The 2ms response time may make a noticeable difference because the monitor maker made compromises in other areas to achieve that 2ms time, and these compromises might be noticeable.

Some monitors actually achieve 2ms response by adding lag: If the monitor displays the image with a delay, then it knows beforehand how each pixel is going to change and prepare for it, making the switch faster. That technique can be nice for movies, but awful for gamers.

12. nuggetWRX thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i am using a VGA currently, it only has the VGA and HDMI ports. but i tried a DVI to HDMI cable and the colors (even after calibration) were horribly bleeding into each other and the resolution was bad because it put black vertical bars about 3/4" thick on either side of the picture. i am hoping the 16:9 aspect ratio fixes that, along with a more compatible monitor.

yea i see what you're saying about cutting corners, i will go with the HP then, it has a solid reputation that precedes it and i feel comfortable that it will work adequately for my macbook pro and more than sufficient enough for my ps3.

thanks for all your help fellas i really do appreciate it. next problem is figure out why at max volume on my studio monitors (studio quality speakers) my ps3 volume is at a whisper, but thats another forum and another day haha.