2.5gbz w/512mb videocard vs new 2.4ghz with 256mb video card or 2.53ghz with 512mb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deafanimator, Oct 30, 2008.

1. deafanimator macrumors member

I have a hard time to find bench mark test for previous model Macbook Pro 2.5ghz with 512mb video card vs with New Macbookpro 2.4ghz with 256mb video card. Which one is better and faster? I know there is next more expensive one is 2.53ghz with 512mb video card is faster. I am on tight budget and want to buy a good machine for video editing HD.. and do not want dispointment.

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The difference between 512 MB video RAM and 256 MB video RAM isn't all too great, however, the difference between the 9600 GT and the 8600 GT in the older MacBook Pro is significant. I'd say, if video performance is what's important to you, make sure to get one of the new models. If you can scrape together enough for the 2.53 models then by all means go for it. It might cost a good chunk more but you do get an extra 2gb of RAM (an aftermarket 4 GB upgrade costs a fair chunk compared to the ram used in the previous MBPs), bigger hard drive, faster CPU, more CPU cache and more video RAM. Personally, I think its worth it.

3. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

The older MBP has the same CPU cache, can support the same HD. It's just a matter of upgrading it.

Newer MacBook Pro has a much better BusSpeed. It will increase the performance of the entire system to something greater than the previous model.

IMHO, I would think that the 2.5 MBP classic (previous gen) is ~ the area of the 2.4 current one. Give or take 10 speedmark points.

For your purposes of editing HD video, I'd suggest the 2.53 MBP. If you were working with non-HD, then I would suggest the 2.5.

Here are some benchmarks.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd say get the new macbook pro with the 9600m gt with the 512mb of vram.

Its been argued in Arstechnica that people say that the myth of the 9600m gt cards only have a 128-bit wide bandwidth which restricts it from using all of the 512mb of vram and can only address 256mb vram is false.

So it will use all of the 512mb of vram and its not just for show nor is it restricted due to the 128-bit bandwidth.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...m/524004405931

I do notice the big improvement using dual monitor mode now with the 512mb of vram mbp as to the 256mb. The 512mb of vram mbp drives my 23" ACD in dual monitor mode in the same speed as the 256mb vram was used in closed shell mode.

Trying to drive the 256mb vram mbp in dual monitor mode ran the overall osx clunkier and not as smooth as in closed shell mode.

Not to mention the 6mb of cache sure boosts up the overall speed of osx as well, takes 2x less recaching due to the double amount of cache now.

Also one thing to note is that when snow leopard is out next year that 512mb of vram will sure help ALOT as snow leopard takes advantage or use of the gpu way more than it is utilized right now.

5. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

video editon in hd is still highly cpu based, so I don't know if you'll find much of a difference. If you move to the 2.4, you might even notice a slowdown in editing.

6. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

To just add some speculation, it could be GPU accelerated once Snow Leopard (10.6) comes out. It is rumored to be ~middle of next year.

Getting the 2.53 would future proof it a bit.

7. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

whoops, edition -> editing*

also, the gpu wont speed anything up until they update whatever program you are using to support openCL or grand central

8. deafanimator thread starter macrumors member

I decided to go new MBP instead of old MBP

I decided to go new MBP instead of old MBP because the feel the difference the way it build. THe new one is very durbable and firm compare to the old one is more flexible and looks like harder to keep clean the dust and dirt on screen and keyboard areas. I like lot better new one. Thanks for all feed backs.