2.5ghz 17in mbp hi-res or a 2.6ghz 15in mbp

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nayxn2nayxn, Jun 12, 2008.

1. nayxn2nayxn macrumors member

Hey guys!

I'm new to the forum as you can tell with my first ever post. After 7 trusty years with my 3.2ghz sager np8890 notebook, it no longer can do the tasks that i need now. I am an animation/filmmaking student and have already been experiencing Apple computers at my school. They have plenty of iMACs and MacPros for us to use. I am, however, looking for a portable to replace my old 12 pounder. I am looking at a Macbook pro. I have looked everywhere online and it seems the best deal as of now is at the apple store with the education discount and the free ipod. I was wondering what would you guys rather get. Here are the two options that I'm looking to make the switch to...

-a 17in macbook pro hi-res glossy with a 2.5ghz/4GB ram

-or-

-a 15in macbook pro glossy with a 2.6ghz/4GB ram

I calculated the difference which is about ~$170 taking into account the student discount, free ipod, my 5% cashback bonus on my credit card, and tax.

Thanks!

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Go for 2.5 on the MBP, not 2.6. If you want portability, go with the 15. BTW, I don't see how a Sager with those specs can be that old. More like 4-5 seems reasonable.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

No brainer for me, this is the machine I wanted, but settled (with myself) for a blackbook

PS. The 3.2's didn't come out until 2003, so how is your machine 7 years old?

4. nayxn2nayxn thread starter macrumors member

well i pre-ordered it in 2001 with a company overseas and i got it in the summer of 2002 for around $2500 including shipping. So i guess it would be 6 years. It is stated on the box as a 3.06ghz processor HT but my system info says its 3.2ghz. Back then, I was ahead of a lot of people in computers. Now it's just an old brick lol. I still love the 16.1in screen however.

I actually had a typo up there. I orginally stated it as a np8890 it's a np8880 model

i also found this on a random blog from http://forum.notebookreview.com/archive/index.php/t-34834.html

Warlock69
    12-03-2007, 03:33 AM
    Please state model, how long you've had it, and what, if any.. issues have popped up over the course of wear and tear :)

I have had a Sager NP8880 for aprox. 5 years or so. However, it has only worked for 6 months of that time frame. My first problem that required me to send it back into Sager was the failure of the power supply. 4 to 6 months after that, while using it, the computer simply stopped working. I tried to re-boot it but that was not an option. I have a light on the power supply, as well as light on the power LED too. That is as far as the booting up of my laptop goes. I have no idea what is wrong, and I would love for someone with a bit more knowledge than I have, please tell me what you think my problem could be. Thanks. :(

So he's been having his since 2002 too

5. kumbaya macrumors regular

go for the 15"

simply for the portable angle, 15" is easier to lug around

i went from 17" to 15" and never looked back

i hated carrying the 17" but have never minded toting the 15"

other things in my mind at least don't make much difference

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I'm just saying the Intel P4 3.2 wasn't released until June 2003, so I don't think you (or the other guy) have had yours since 2002...

But get the 17" - you won't regret it.

7. Blakely028 macrumors regular

Blakely028

Yeah, I agree with Kumbaya. If your gonna be on the move a lot, the 15" MBP would be your best option. The 17" is a bit heavy for the old lugging around and the 15" would be, IMO alright.

Hope this helps you somehow ;)

8. nayxn2nayxn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for your opinions. The only time I will be carrying this around is back and forth home and school on airplanes like 4 times a year. Other than that, it's pretty much stationary for animation projects and major digital painting. I think the 17 inch Hi-res will be suited because of the screen real estate. But, then again I keep thinking about the super portability of the 15 inch and with the $300 saved, invest in an 22in LED Dell monitor or some sort. Hopefully, I can stop by an Apple store and decide soon. I don't think 7 lbs or whatever it is will be too much of a hassle since I'm currently carrying around a 15 lb. "binder" computer.

9. sbf74 macrumors member

I literally just unpacked my refurbished 2.5GHz 15" MBP and I am LOVING it.
    It is plenty big enough for the things I want to do, is very portable, and is able to be hooked into an external display with ease for my work at the desk.
    I tossed around the idea of the 17" but it's just too big for me as a notebook.

By the way, I somehow got a 2.6GHz as well...... at least that's what "About this Mac" tells me :)
    And it was still at the refurbished price :D

10. akm3 macrumors 68020

I think if Apple offered the 15" with a 1680x1050 resolution it would destroy sales of the 17".

I think this is why they keep it the way it is :(

You can't go wrong with either one, and you are right, coming from a Sager monster, the 17" will still feel light as a feather to you. It is a LOT more expensive though, the 15" is a much better value, dollars/performance.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd recommend going with the 2.5GHz vs the 2.6... I doubt you'd see any difference at all in performance, and you'll save $250. I wanted the best of both worlds.... I wanted a very portable MBP, but also wanted lots of screen real estate when working in my home/office. I went with the 15" for portability and I plan to get a 30" ACD for the home/office... just waiting to see if they come out with an update soon... hopefully, with a built-in iSight.

12. steeler macrumors regular

Not on your list, but the 2.5GHz 15" would be my choice. I've used the 17" Powerbook but it was just too big for me to carry with me. I opted for the 15" as a compromise of screen real estate and portability. I also have an old Samsung LCD that I hook up at my desk.