2.8GHZ-i5 with 16GB RAM or 3.0GHZ-i7 with 8GB RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by busted, Oct 4, 2014.

1. busted macrumors newbie

I'm purchasing a new MacBook Pro, I'm a developer, an android developer and on the edge of being an Ios developer as well. So should I purchase an i5 with 16GB RAM or an i7 with an 8GB RAM?

Thanks in advance :)

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Usually, for processor upgrades, the rule of thumb you should follow is: if you have to ask, you don't need it.

The difference between both processors in daily use would be next to impossible to notice and the jump from the i5 to the i7 would really show only in very large renderings in photoshop or the like.

For writing code, an iPad's powerful enough, so get the lowest end processor.

Running out of RAM though, now THAT takes a huge toll on performance.

If you're dead set on upgrading, then get the RAM.

3. busted thread starter macrumors newbie

I basically can afford upgrading either RAM or processor, seeing the fact I would waste my money on drinks over a few weekends I would rather put it into my new MBP

So, won't compiling on i7 would be faster than compiling on an i5 processor?

4. leman macrumors 604

It might, but I don't think you will see a substation difference here. Few percent, give or take — not really enough to affect your experience for better or worth.

To be honest, I'd say rather invest the money into a backup solution.

5. busted thread starter macrumors newbie

so I should definitely go for the i5-16GB RAM? I'm basically the worst decision maker, I hesitate a lot. And now I'm thinking of going for a 128 SSD with i7/16GB RAM :confused:

----------

Thinking about it a 2x increase in RAM would be better than a 10-20% increase in processor, right?

6. leman macrumors 604

Honestly, my suggestion for you would be to get the i5 with 8GB RAM and just invest the extra into something nice. I don't think that either the 16GB or the i7 will make any practical difference for you.

But if your mind is completely set on getting one of the upgrades, I also think that 16GB is a better investment. There are no situations where i7 would make a decisive difference, but there are certainly some where 16GB RAM would be a big advantage.

7. busted thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I will just go with the 16GB for the future, since I can't upgrade it later

8. busted thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going with 2.8GHz-i5 Dual-core up to 3.3GHz/ 16GB RAM/ 256 SSD. I'm placing the order in an hour(before the new days starts in UK) if anyone has a different aspect please guide me :)