2.9ghz/Radeon 460 or 2.7ghz/Radeon 460/512gb Ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iGangsta, Nov 28, 2016.

1. iGangsta macrumors member

2.9 ghz
    Radeon 460
    256gb ssd
    -
    2.7 ghz
    Radeon 460
    512gb ssd

These configurations are same price. In fact the question should be;

+256gb ssd or +0.2ghz (in theory) cpu clockspeed

Which one do you prefer? For professionally video editing on FCPX

2. koyoot macrumors 601

koyoot

2.7 GHz/512 SSD/460 if you are considering the exact configs.

3. paaj macrumors member

paaj

I can imagine the quad-core performance difference is lower than singlecore (the max turbo boost spec is for one core only) so under prolonged stress (rendering) the difference is smaller than the specs indicate.
    Going for more really fast storage may be more efficient while editing than using an external drive.

The 2.6Ghz base model only boosts up to around 2.9GHz with four cores maxed (after a few seconds of higher boost, not relevant for exporting) and already runs at around 95C.

4. iGangsta thread starter macrumors member

Thanks dude. Base models are fully enough for video editing?

2.6ghz
    Radeon 450 ?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 28, 2016 ---
    We are using raid storage. I think i dont need any storage option. Am i right?

5. koyoot macrumors 601

koyoot

It depends which software will you use. Radeon Pro 450 in games is on GTX 950-960M. But it has 1 TFLOPs of compute power. If you will use Final Cut Pro X you will get decent performance from it.

However, Radeon Pro 460 will be 86% faster(1.86 TFLOPs of compute power), and around 70% faster than 450 in games.

6. paaj macrumors member

paaj

Extra storage is not really needed then. I think the 460 is worth it for most graphic/video work, and went for basemodel/460 myself for doing some programming and realtime 3D things. Useful for connecting extra screens with enough power to keep it smooth, faster rendering etc.

7. viljamip macrumors regular

Keep in mind that usually the higher capacity SSDs are significantly faster as the disk has more places to write to and read from at the same time. That said even the 256GB shoud easily reach over 1GB/s write so that is not a huge issue. If you have no intention to edit from the internal SSD and you don't need a lot of internal storage, then the faster CPU should be worth it. For an average user I'd go for the 512GB SSD though. Just make sure you don't need more than 200GB for your OS, apps and data. I would not fill the SSD all the way up so the OS has some breathing room.