2 displays: How to make better use of the second one?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MacNoobGuy, May 8, 2012.

1. MacNoobGuy macrumors 6502

hey guys, i was just wondering how i could make better use of the second display that i recently connected. at the moment it's just on with the universe background.

thanks

2. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Sounds to me like that's what he's trying to do - achieve a task.

OP, what sort of apps do you use? When I had two monitors hooked up, sometimes I would have my email on the second one while I worked Photoshop or Illy on the main screen.

Other times I would put my PS or Illy palettes on the second screen so they were out of the way.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Some ideas:

-put a mail client/IM applications on one, maintaining a browser/whatever on the other
    -iTunes/music on one monitor
    -Use the other monitor for another computer
    -widescreen photoshop
    -VERY LARGE TEXT EDITING

...but again, this is what works for me. YMMV.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Use an RSS reader (say RSSOwl) to read a list of postings to this forum on one monitor. When you open one in Safari to read, put in on the other monitor.

5. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I have email/safari with a few forums on one screen, and work on the other.

6. 3282868 macrumors 603

It depends on your workflow/needs. I have 2 24" ACD LED LCDs on my Mac Pro.

Final Cut Pro:
    Display 1 Timeline, events, projects, editing
    Display 2 Movie in full screen

Photoshop CS5/6:
    Display 1 Windows (Palettes, history, colors, actions, layers, brushes, etc.)
    Display 2 Working Image(s)

When one display for work is sometimes needed, I'll run EyeTV on my second display and have news or such on in the background while I work. Elgato's EyeTV Hybrid is a great addition. A small USB device with a cable input for cable TV without a box. 1-99 and local OTA HD channels, DVR/set schedules for programs, export shows to any format such as iPhone and Apple TV, live streaming via WiFi or 3G away from home. Also has input for VCR's and such to digitize old analog VHS/BetaMax videos.

All depends on your needs. Unfortunately Lion isn't as multi-display friendly as was Snow Leopard (some debate it). Snow Leopard, in my opinion, handled 2+ displays in OS X much better.

Good luck! :)