Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I was just watching SNL, and I saw the new Heineken/Real Player commercials---apparently with every box of Heineken beer you purchase you get 2 free downloads. LOL, Apple gets Pepsi and Real gets import beer. Just thought it was funny.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
why do i have a feeling apple would have captured the youth market much more with this deal :)

iJon

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I kind of wish Apple had gotten a beer company first, tho it might be outside of their image. but, heineken... i think Apple is more of a rolling rock kind of company...

paul

sonyrules

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2001
Ohio
joshuawaire said:
I was just watching SNL, and I saw the new Heineken/Real Player commercials---apparently with every box of Heineken beer you purchase you get 2 free downloads. LOL, Apple gets Pepsi and Real gets import beer. Just thought it was funny.

I thik it would be a bad idea if apple would go that way. Apple's main audience of downlaods is teenagers. Promoting it on Beer would insist on underage drinking, which in turn would give apple alot of pressure. I think Pepsi was a better choice, just poor marketing

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
paulwhannel said:
I kind of wish Apple had gotten a beer company first, tho it might be outside of their image. but, heineken... i think Apple is more of a rolling rock kind of company...

paul

I'd classify Apple as more of a Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam company. This deal seems kind of odd to me. I mean, I can't think of any other instance when a beer company had giveaways with a purchase but maybe I am wrong. And where are the freebies located? Under the caps or labels or part of the case?
I remember the whole Pepsi points giveaway 8 years ago and after a while people started just stealing the points without purchasing the product - an effective but very unsavory tactic.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
If you are of legal drinking age, you can register to win an iPod and get music downloads at budweiser.com

update: budweiser.com is giving away 600 iPods!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
sonyrules said:
I thik it would be a bad idea if apple would go that way. Apple's main audience of downlaods is teenagers. Promoting it on Beer would insist on underage drinking, which in turn would give apple alot of pressure. I think Pepsi was a better choice, just poor marketing
i think we all know that, just wishful thinking.

iJon

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
Apple and Beck's...

...what a combination that would be!!!
lush.gif

vSpacken

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The Pepsi deal was great for Apple.

I realize that in terms of the songs downloaded from it it was a failure - but who would expect anything different? Why buy pepsi, come home and type in a code and download from itunes when you can just as easily download from a P2P server?

So you ask "Why was the deal great for Apple?"

It's obvious. A superbowl add and iTunes mentioned on every pepsi bottle. What Apple needs is just for people to know they are still around and doing good work, and the Pepsi promo helped with that

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Chaszmyr said:
It's obvious. A superbowl add and iTunes mentioned on every pepsi bottle. What Apple needs is just for people to know they are still around and doing good work, and the Pepsi promo helped with that

That superbowl add was terrible. It was probably the worst one I saw on around the superbowl.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.