2 GB or 4 GB of ram the iPad Pro 9.7 inch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by max2, Mar 21, 2016.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

2. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

3. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I don't think anything is confirmed yet, I have seen tons of sites assuming 4GB but until teardown nothing in stone. Apple never discloses RAM.

4. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

But I would take it at a grain of salt in tell we no more from I fix it

5. Shirtin macrumors member

6. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

Can't wait in tell some unboxing and then geek beach 3 too find out what this iPad really has

7. mrklaw macrumors 65816

The CPU performance is likely measured with benchmarks with the screen off. The slightly slower speed is probably due to throttling the CPU because of the smaller battery or smaller chassis being less able to keep it cool.

8. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok

9. Serban Suspended

yes but less cpu and gpu power

10. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I wish they would give that information out in the presentation.. I hope it will be 4GB.
    4GB is so small these days it's surprising they haven't made it larger.

11. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

In another thread, I comment that the CPU difference makes sense if the CPU is downclocked. 12.9" iPad Pro is clocked at 2.23Ghz. Downclocking to 2.1Ghz should account for the similar numbers. It may not even be downclocked, but throttle more frequently which would account for the numbers as well.

The GPU numbers make sense if the 9.7" has 10 clusters active, instead of 12 like on the bigger brother. This would again make sense if the chips are binned A9Xs from the 12.9" model, where one of the cluster pairs (6 pairs = 12 clusters) is disabled or non functional. If this is true, it is not terribly concerning since this is still pushing <60% of the pixel count as the 12.9" model. So that extra performance should actually make it a little faster than the 12.9" version in some situations.

So, the fact that the numbers would make sense with a fairly small (~100Mhz) downclock, and a disabled GPU cluster pair, makes me think that these are binned A9Xs from the same production runs used for the 12.9" model. So I'm not worried about that.

What does make me hesitant to say that these likely have 4GB is that with the A9X, the RAM isn't on the SOC. It is elsewhere on the logic board. So even knowing that these are likely the same A9Xs as the larger model doesn't tell us what the RAM looks like. I'd hope for the price, they aren't skimping, but I guess we get to wait and find out when someone takes a peek at these things in detail.

12. urkel macrumors 68030

I was surprised at the news that the iPad Pro 9.7 only transfers at USB2. So if I were told that they also decided to skimp on RAM then I now wouldn't be surprised at all.

13. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

4GB of RAM is a bit small (but still usable) for full computers. For an iOS device I think it's actually overkill in most scenarios.

14. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I noticed that, I'm thinking they have it backwards...

15. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

The performance is "raw" performance. It isn't being measured in frames per second.

16. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I'm not sure why Apple feels the need to hide info about the RAM in iPad Pro devices. iPad Pro users are far more likely to need to know this information, especially as more complex and resource intensive apps arrive for these desktop class performance devices. And it's not like they are afraid to crank out some pretty geeky information on the product specs pages.

17. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

There's no need to know because there's not a single app that will ever use anything close to 4GB of RAM until Apple decides to beef up the OS. Right now the Air 2 has 2 GB and can keep many tabs open or anywhere from 4-6 apps in active memory.

18. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I personally think it's time to stop hiding it away. Enough people do care about it, probably at least equal to the cares about information we do get about processing power, graphics performance, LTE bands and other wireless technologies.

I know why they mainly don't do it. It's because traditionally iOS devices have lagged the RAM in Android devices, and they don't want critics zeroing in on it - during the big publicity push.

19. Mr.C macrumors 601

That's not a valid argument in my opinion. Android devices may have traditionally had more RAM but then the Android OS is not as well optimised as iOS is. iOS devices typically need less RAM for the same level of performance.

20. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I totally agree, but it's difficult to articulate and prove versus the very simple argument of 2GB is less than 3GB or 4GB so that must make the iPad worse.

I think not disclosing the RAM made more sense when Steve Jobs wanted to talk about these devices in human terms, the experience, what it will do for you - versus today when the unveils are full of geeky benchmarks, gigabytes, gigahertz, milliamperes and megapixels that many people still don't understand.

21. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

What I find out is how Apple keeps on talking about the 'post PC era' and this is a 'complete PC' when they don't even list the RAM.

In the end of the day, sure specs probably won't matter that much but if Apple really is that consumer friendly, they should just release it. Honestly, I don't know one person who would just buy a random MacBook without considering the RAM options.

Basically, they should just do it.

22. mpetrides macrumors member

Well, because they don't tell me upfront how much RAM it has, I'll probably order one with the intention of returning it, if I later find it has only 2 GB RAM. And this is good for their inventory management in what way? I'm hoping someone can tear down a review unit before the actual shipping date.

23. eltoslightfoot macrumors regular

eltoslightfoot

Why? If the ram is 2 gb and it never limits you? Why care? You are proving the point of why Apple doesn't announce it. Optimization is a real thing.

24. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Yep, that is the real issue. I see people claiming the only thing keeping them from an iPhone SE would be not having at least 2 gigs?
    Why? to better browse Safari on a 4 inch screen?

The iPad Pro gave them the perfect excuse to do something they should have done years ago.

Develop a iPad specific iOS. How did they go to design meetings for the 12.9 Pro, see that empty space between icons and say, yep that looks professional.