2 gig sticks in memory slot 1 & 2 make fans go crazy? Please help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by famousshots, May 27, 2007.

1. famousshots macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have the new quad mac pro and I got extra ram from OWC. I purchased the 2gb pairs and I got 8 gigs. After reading all of the posts here about ram configuration I see that I am supposed to put the bigger sticks in slots 1&2 on both risers and the smaller ones in 3&4. However, when I do this and you put the computer to sleep and wake it up the fans go crazy for about 30 seconds and then slow down to normal. If the 2 gig ones are in the 3&4 slots this does not happen.
    I called OWC and they had me return the ram and sent me new sticks but it is still happening. Then I called apple and they say they don't know why and they want me to bring it in for service.
    I was just wondering it this has happened to anyone else and if it did what did you do?
    Thanks.

2. Rokusaburo macrumors member

Rokusaburo

I also bought 8GB from OWC recently to add to my stock 2GB. I installed the 4 2GB sticks in slots 1&2 and I get the same fan rev-up when I wake my machine from sleep. And similarly to you, the fans spin down to normal after 20-30 seconds.

I figure that this is normal, so I haven't worried too much about it. Hope this helps.

3. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I just got a couple 2gig sticks for my macpro too. Didn't really notice too much extra fan noise. My fans would always kick in for a few seconds when waking from sleep.

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Funny....guess everyone is getting the 2GB DIMMS from OWC now that the prices are down.

I too just got 8GB (4 x 2GB) OWC Qualified DIMMS. I have them in slots 1&2 on both risers as well.

I do notice a slight increase in fan speed when waking from sleep. This is when I manually sleep the machine, then after about 1 minute wake it up. I don't usually sleep my machine, so I only did this to help test.

I did notice the fans kicked up a little.

If you sleep the machine, then wake it right back up....do the fans spin up a lot? Mine only hit about 700+ rpm.

-Kevin