2 iphones ...app store question..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by salacious, Dec 6, 2011.

1. salacious macrumors 6502a

So at christmas im going to have 2 iphone 4s's what i want to know is can i use my email for login for both phones so that i dont have to buy different apps? and music and stuff?

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Yes for the Apps, just download the purchased apps on the other iPhone with the same account and you won't get charged twice. Not sure about music and videos though.

3. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

No problem duplicating everything o both devices.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Are both phones going to be for you or is the 2nd going to be a gift for someone?

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Yes, you can. Just make sure you sign in using your account first and download a couple of your purchased music. You have to make sure that first AppleID that you use is the one that has all your purchases. Once that happens, the device and the ID are married for 90 days. There is no way to break it. It's a new thing that Apple did sever months ago. It only applies to music/video, you can still re-download any app as long as your using the AppleID that originally bought it.

The caveat is, the AppleID that you're entering has to unattached to a device. IDs and devices are exclusive and doesn't expire for 90 days. Sucks I know. But, this only applies to music, videos, iTunes Match. You can still download apps.

6. JonLa macrumors 6502

Actually this is simpler than everyone says.

I set up my old iphone as new for my wife, with her Apple ID (for imessage, icloud, etc) - I did this over wifi, without connecting to the Mac. I then went into settings, store account, and changed that to my Apple ID (leaving all of the other features set to hers). Job done. Can go into App store, itunes, grab previous downloads. Then plugged it into the Mac and can add any apps and music to the iphone as if it were my own.

Same thing for her ipad.
    Very neat.

PS - this is in iOS5, obviously.

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Yup. That's how simple it used to be. And it made piracy between anyone who had someone's user/pass friend/fam/etc. Then they started limiting this because of it. Just the music stuff. As soon as user/pass is married, it stays for 90 days. No way out of it. I've tried. I've googled like there was no tomorrow. Only way is the old fashioned cable sync of music from your computer.

Look it up on Google. That annoying 90 day rule is relatively new. It's the appease music/movie industry.

8. JonLa macrumors 6502

Hmm. Weird. I certainly did this recently so I'm not sure what you're saying. Is it that I can't now change this to a different Store account?

It may be that we're okay because my wife's Apple ID isn't a store account and has no payment details set up on it -it's just for cloud, imessage, facetime.

Or it may be that the first thing I did after setting up the phone with her account was go into Store settings and change them...