2 Little Nicks on My New Replacement Macbook Pro? Should I just Suck it Up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomrazr, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randomrazr macrumors 65816

ok so apple finally sent a new replacement macbook pro to replace my original one. i even gave them 100 dollars for an extra upgraded feature, to an anti glare.

i noticed the lid has 2 tiny "nicks" on it. there nothing major and i doubt anyone would notice but me.

apple has done so much for going to the length of replacing my macbook pro to make me happy. should i call up my customer relations rep and ask him about this and if there something he could do, or should i just suck it up and enjoy my new machine.

my original macbook pro had a cosmetic issue right out of the box, worse then 2 nicks, there was a giant scuff on the hright side and the hinge made clicking noises.

heres a pic of the 2 nicks. u may have to enlarge it to see it better

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24140175@N02/6056232451/sizes/l/in/photostream/

2. df2gadgetman macrumors member

df2gadgetman

If your Apple store is conveniently located close by, by all means exchange it. It's your right, especially paying top dollar in this miserable economy.

Best of luck,
    Darren

3. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

well it depends.
    does it bother you. if yes, then give them a call.
    keep in mind, this isnt a cheap laptop from a store, this is a $1200+ product and to be honest, if it was me, i'd want the best.

EDIT: damn. Darren ^ said it before me. but yeah, follow Darren's advice :D

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Are you serious?

5. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Its up to you really. I personally wouldn't do anything about it because the apple store is in no way obligated to replace the MBP for cosmetic issues.

Plus, you have to way to prove that you didn't do it yourself.

They are really small..I would just live with it.

6. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

7. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

well, if this were me, I probably wouldn't worry about it too much as long as the performance and build quality are good. Scratches and dings will happen on your laptop sooner or later, so something like this wouldn't bother me enough to exchange it as long as the performance was good and other build quality issues (like the hinge and keyboard) felt good.

I say enjoy it, but if you can't, if those dings bother you enough, then by all means take it back to apple, you paid for a new scratch free laptop and they need to deliver.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

When I first saw that, I thought, what nicks? But I don't see how posting this here would help you.

Do you have a brain? If so, decide if you want to tak it back or not. It's like you're asking us if you should change the color of your car or something.

It is your machine, do what you want with it.

10. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

u cant see them in the picture?

11. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

I just looked to see these "nicks".

Lol, really? I don't see anything.

12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'm looking right at them. I'm wondering why you have to ask us about something that's completely up to you.

If you want them gone, go get a new one. If you don't think it's a big deal, don't. I'm not going to say whether I think you should or not because it ultimately doesn't matter to me or anybody else here.

It's your 1.2k computer. Do with it what you want.

13. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

im just looking for opinions thats all

14. aluren macrumors 65816

Get it replaced as you'll lose resale value. Don't worry about Apple's bottomline, they care more for your (our) satisfication.

15. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Then why did you post the picture?

16. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

so u can see the 2 nicks i talked about in the thread duh

17. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

A question mark means someone is asking a question, not making a statement that they are shy and unsure about.

18. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Yea I know. If it was me, I would have seen it when I opened the machine at Starbucks a block away. Then I would have taken it back.

If I were to get a nick now (or see one now), I wouldn't bother as I already have my information loaded and driving the 1.3 hours to take it back wouldn't be worth it. For me at least.

He was asking me if I couldn't see it. I posted that it's pretty small and hard to notice (in a nutshell).

19. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I misread and missed his question mark in his post because of the text-speak.

20. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I wouldn't. I don't even notice it when I looked at the picture. Only found them if you're really looking for them but that might be different if you're looking at the product in person. Also, chances are, you're going to get a nick here and there, I have a few but they're tiny and don't notice them. If they were small dents, I would definitely exchange but those things? I wouldn't waste my time.

But it's your machine, do what you feel.

21. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

22. srshaw macrumors 6502

I had to have my MBP replaced because of a screen issue. I noticed two rub marks at the back, which is probably where it wasn't protected by the plastic in transit.

For me a computer is there to be used, and will pick up nicks and scratches.

I put my first iPod in a protective case, and eventually it broke (still looked mint though). With its replacement I didn't bother with a case. Whats the point in buying something stylish only to stuff it an ugly case.

23. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

These nicks are barely noticeable. I would just forget about it if I were you, especially when the machine is running flawlessly. Even if Apple would exchange it, you could get an even worse one.

24. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Wait, isn't the OP the same guy that scammed Best Buy/Futureshop to replace his water-damaged MacBook Pro, too?

25. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.