2 Months Later... I am still in love with my rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by renosausage, Oct 30, 2012.

1. renosausage macrumors regular

The 15" Retina Macbook Pro is my second Laptop from Apple.

My first laptop was a 13" White MacBook with 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo

That laptop is still functioning and my Grandfather still uses it solely for internet.

It's amazing how much he loves it considering my Mother bought him a Brand New Dell Inspiron last Christmas.

He finds himself using a 4 Year old laptop to surf the web over a BRAND NEW DELL!!!

I use the 15" rMBP mostly for Final Cut Pro X and Photoshop CS6. I'm not a professional at either of these programs, but the rMBP makes it so easy to learn and work through projects. It renders 1080p footage in minutes and the retina display makes it easy to edit my photos.

This laptop is absolutely gorgeous and so very responsive. I told my Mother that it reminds me of a Rolex Watch. It feels like you're holding something extremely precious and valuable in your hands, yet completely functional and practical. Just like an expensive Rolex Watch.

I have a Black Carbon Fiber Skin on my rMBP which makes it really easy to just carry around anywhere without worrying about scratches.

I am currently in college and I use to carry an entire book bag full of notebooks, textbooks, etc... Now I just carry my rMBP and THATS IT!!!

I saved my money for years to buy this laptop not long after the MacBook Air was released.

I wanted a MacBook Air, but I also wanted a Pro laptop that was as light as the Air.

I knew Apple would eventually release such a product so I patiently waited for almost 2 years. During that time many of my family members bought 15" Pros.

I AM SO GLAD I WAITED!!!!

The rMBP was worth the wait and worth every single penny that I saved.

Already I have made several movies and slideshows for people who paid BIG money for some professional looking stuff.

I've also became addicted to WoW and Diablo 3 :D:D:D:D:D

This is the last MacBook I will ever have to buy for a long time :apple:

There are two features I wish this laptop had:

First, I wish it had more than 2 USB ports.

Secondly, I wish it had LTE capabilities.

Other than that this laptop is AWESOME and I love it:apple:

2. Lifequest macrumors regular

Glad to hear.
    Waiting for my 15" rMBP to arrive this Friday as well. Hesitated as I'm coming from a 13" Air. I waited for the 13" rMBP but was very disappointed. Was hoping for either Quad CPU or dGPU, got neither.

Added about $200 (and 300grams of weight) for a CPU that benched double, a GPU that benched about triple and apparently a nicer screen.

I'm hoping I've made the right decision :)

3. kallyq macrumors regular

I'm also glad to hear this. I purchased the 15 inch rMBP this week and so far really like it a lot. The screen is very pretty, better even than my 27 inch Dell Ultrasharp! I just love the clear text so much!

Lifequest, I also thought about getting the 13 since I usually use an 11 inch MBA; however, the specs really got me to buy the 15 and I am so glad that I did. It is comfortable to use on the couch and I don't feel like I have to look down or squint or anything. :) I'm pretty happy with mine so far!

4. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

I was in love with mine too until 2 weeks ago when it started to break out in white stuck pixels. Now I've got about 6 of them and they are easy to see because they are clusters of pixels. So sad :-(

5. Lifequest macrumors regular

I remember that 5+ pixels is warrant for screen replacement, though that was on the iMac/old resolution MBP. Call up apple to check. You're still within your 12 month warranty. It's a hassle. :eek:

6. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

This is good for me to read. I'm going to wait for the second gen but I really want pro specs but thinner than the unibody mbps. I don't like Rev A products so I'll wait.

7. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Thank god you still love your MBP after two months lol. Come back in two years and let us know if you still feel obligated to stay "faithful".

8. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Same here. I am writing a paper currently and it is a pleasure to see beautiful typography in Word (recently updated to support retina).

I even changed font to Baskerville. A really beautiful font - when the medium it is being showed on has a high pixel density.

I might add that I have the LG screen, and it took three months before I noticed the image retention, when I decided to specifically test for it. So in 3 months of web browsing, heavy photo editing and word processing I never noticed it.

9. shah1 macrumors member

I felt the same about my late 2010 Macbook Air when it was released. 2 years on, the machine is still going strong, does everything I need it to do, even light photoshop but mainly for web browsing. However, I am now feeling like I need a new machine. Just got the new rMBP but can't justify spending so much for a machine I will not use to its full potential, yes the screen is amazing but I have decided to go for a 2012 Macbook Air, just been offered one from a mate (a base model 13inch) think this will do for a short while. Will see what 2013 offers from the 15inch Pro and 13 inch Air.

But yes in two years, think this rMBP will feel a little out dated.:)

10. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Glad to hear that. And extra glad to hear that you saved up your money and didnt go into debt to make the purchase.

I am definitely getting a rMBP at some point, But I just can't justify it right now with my 2009 15" MBP humming along perfectly. I usually treat myself to something with my tax return every year, a rMBP might be the thing this year.

11. stevey69 macrumors regular

cant agree more . i LOVE LOVE my rmbp. my dream come true.

12. MikeCase macrumors member

MikeCase

What settings are you running WoW at? I'm considering switching my 13" rMBP for a 15" and playing WoW is something ill be doing on it.

13. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

My Overall settings are at Medium, but the Graphics Setting is on High.

At those settings it plays at about 28 fps

I also use the 2880 by 1800 display setting

At the Ultra Settings I only get about 14 fps which isn't smooth at all.

14. children macrumors regular

hey, im in the same boat, I really cant fault this machine

15. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Thank you, OP. I was in the mood to hear something positive. I'm so fed up with threads in which people are complaining about things which just aren't significant.

16. ljnaum26 macrumors newbie

17. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

I second that opinion!:apple:

18. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I debated between the 15" rMBP and the newly released 13". I ultimately went with the 13" because it costs considerably less, and because the specs of the 15" were likely overkill for 90% of my computing tasks.

I just want to correct you and say you "added" $500 for the CPU and GPU improvements (and double the storage)...not $200. I understand the logic between the high end 13" and low end 15", but if storage isn't the primary concern, the difference in price between the two machines is $500. A significant 30% increase.

To me, I was going to need some extra external storage whether I got a 128GB SSD or a 256GB SSD, so I opted for the cheaper of the two. I'm now going to use that $500 in savings towards a Thunderbolt Display when an update is released (likely as thin as the new iMac with USB 3.0).

19. Slideshowfan macrumors newbie

Soon to be Newbie with questions on software for slideshows....

Read the posts from renosausage and have some questions....

I have used Proshow Gold to make slideshows in the past - excellent transitions and great final productions.... I am disappointed that Proshow Gold is not compatible with Apple... I am finally coming over to Mac (from a Dell Inspiron 700m!!). After a year of indecision and waiting for upgrades, now the 13" Retina finally was released but it does not have a separate graphics card. I feel that my best decision will be to go with 15" Retina (although I travel quite a bit, this will be my sole computer.... and the better processing over rules the portability....)
    comments???

Re Software - I was going to buy Final Cut but after reading all the comparisons to Proshow I am torn.... should I buy and load Bootcamp or Parallels and try to get PSG to run on the Mac or should I go with Finacut, hoping it has the same great transitions like the Style Pack 5 for PSG....

HELP!!!!! :)

20. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I just folded and bought the 13" rMBP. I haven't owned a laptop in years, and sold an old C2D Macbook Pro 15" some years back because it was overkill for what I used the computer for. I process photos and that is about it.
    I had my mind set on the 15" rMBP, but the wife reminded me of this point.

I have most of my photos online in some fashion, so space wasn't really a big issue for me. I went base model. I don't game on my laptops like I did back in the day. I use the 360 or my iMac. I will put some light games on it for use during transit.

I am moving my mobile world from an iPad which I had for about 2 years, so I am pretty excited about the rMBP.

21. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

I personally think the 15" rMBP is a very portable device.

My wife has a 13" Macbook Air and there is obviously a huge difference in weight, but the rMBP is worth the extra bulk for the performance and features.

You DO NOT need a separate graphics card to operate Final Cut Pro X or even BootCamp + Windows + Proshow Gold

My wife's 13" Macbook Air has Parallels and Windows 7 installed with only 4 gbs of ram. She has no problem switching OS and using multiple applications.

You should be fine with a 13" rMBP

Considering you only do slideshows I would personally go with the BootCamp + Windows + ProShow Gold Setup

Final Cut Pro X is an awesome program, but if you are only interested in slideshows then ProShow Gold is a better Choice.

First off, It is cheaper

Windows 7 Home $120
    Boot Camp $Free
    ProShow Gold $70

That's $190 vs $300 for Final Cut Pro X

Secondly, ProShow Gold does have several more transitions and effects than Final Cut Pro X. You can get more transitions for FCPX, but it will costs more money.

Finally, You seem to already know a lot about ProShow Gold which means you won't have to learn FCPX.

Now, if you plan to move more towards making HD movies at some point then I would instead invest in FCPX and learn the software.

It will not be easier at making slideshows, but once you get the hang of it you will be making the same slideshows along with professional looking movies.

There are several sites to get you started on FCPX if you go that route.

http://www.izzyvideo.com
    http://2reelguys.com

Going back to the rMBP. In my opinion if I could afford it I would go ahead and get a 15" rMBP with 16gbs of ram.

The extra inches will make it easier to work with FCPX and the 16gbs of ram will make rendering HD footage a breeze.

I know it is an extra $700, but think about it...

You get twice the amount of SSD space
    Quad Core Processor
    Twice the Ram
    Bigger Display
    and a Separate Graphics Card!

If slideshows is as far as you will go then I suggest the 13" rMBP + BootCamp + Windows 7 Home Edition + ProShow Gold

But if you plan to go any further in your videography skills then I suggest the 15" rMBP + 16gbs ram + FCPX

Anyway I hope that helps:D

22. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Other side of the fence here...

I knew the retina was coming, and went for my 15" cMBP instead, and I'm glad I did.

Why? I need the storage, and 500-700gb in the retina model is just way to expensive for my taste currently.

In no rush to get the retina model, I did get the high res option though which makes it more bearable - there's no way I could live with 1440x900 on the 15" screen, that's for sure.

edit:
    with the new fusion drive stuff, maybe that's what will be the clincher for me. but for the time being, happy with the classic...