2 Muslims removed from flight for being Muslim

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

WTF is wrong with people?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/05/07/muslims.kicked.off.plane/

Not sure what's worse, the xenophobic bigoted passengers who were bothered by 2 Muslims, or the pilots for actually giving in to their bigotry.

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Really? You ask that?

After reading the Osama Bin laden is dead thread here on MacRumors and reading the comments… well any lingering doubts I may have had about Amuhrica's bigotry and xenophobia pretty well went up in smoke.

America **** Yeah… :rolleyes:

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

What has this world come to? Sometimes I do wonder what is wrong with us...

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You couldn't make it up. :rolleyes:

They should have made the passengers who felt uncomfortable by their presence to leave the flight and found replacement pilots if they had still refused to fly.

What's the point of having security checks if this can still happen?

5. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

something similar happened last year with the same meeting sponsored by the North American Imams Federation.

this could happen on any flight ... your response to this is why this crap gets started ... people unfairly judge Muslims the same as you judge all Americans ... the hate continues

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

America, **** yeah!

8. 184550 Guest

Very true.

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Pretty messed up but at the same time I'm a bit unsympathetic of anyone who chooses to wander around in ridiculous religious dress.

I would feel pretty uncomfortable if this guy was sitting next to me.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm just a little tired of having to tolerate ridiculous religious BS (regardless of your religion). And last time I checked Rosa Parks never chose to be black this is not an apt comparison.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I am sure it has nothing to do with the fact that Al Queda publicly stated they were planning to retaliate for the death of bin laden

11. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

So what? No Muslims can fly now? That's bullcrap. They went through security, even went through secondary security (probably because they were guilty of the crime of flying while having a funny sounding name) and had every right to be on that plane.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I wasn't defending the actions

However, you should realize by now that public perception of a threat may be irrational when statements like those are made

13. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

It would be funny if they didn't kick them off the plane, and they hi-jacked it and blew up another building. (Not saying they would) I'm sure your thoughts would be different then. It really goes both ways.

If that did happen you would be saying 'why did they let them on the plane blah blah blah'.

But, in this current situation, it is pretty ridiculous. Almost as absurd as those people groping little kids at airports.

14. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

That's why I flew Kuwait Airways from London to New York last week. Everyone on there were wearing religious clothing apart from me. Slight exaggeration, there were a few other non religious/western people on board too.

I also flew with them because they do extra screening of everyone before they get to the gate, the food is much nicer than on virgin or delta and the price is really low compared to the rest.

15. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I realize that, but the pilots, TSA, airline staff, and anyone else who was involved in removing them from the flight should've told the passengers to deal with it, and if they had a problem being on the same plane as a Muslim, they can pay the change fee and fare difference and be delayed to fly on another flight. Instead, they gave in to the passengers' irrational Islamophobia.

16. 184550 Guest

Guess you already forgot you condemned a similar occurrence in March of this year?

And another one in June of last year?

Hell, here's a thread from 2006 on the exact same topic.

Did we really need another thread on this topic? Or is it trendy now-a-days to bemoan and decry this type of thing?

In all seriousness, what's the basis for your fascination with this type of thing?

If this looks familiar, it's because it is.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

personally I vote the pilot and personally I think he should be fired over it. May be over done but it a good person to make an example out of and prevent it from happening again in the future.

People on the flight. While I may not agree with them they have the right to be unconformable as long as they do not act on it. The pilot had a professional responsibility not to act on it.

TSA at least has the excuse of they were following orders (of the pilot) and on this one it stops with the pilot and that is the person who should be held fully accountable.

18. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Israel profiles people who are about to board flights, and they haven't had a terrorist attack on a flight for three decades.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/UK-Airports-Should-Adopt-Passenger-Profling-And-Tighter-Checks-Say-Israel-Security-Experts/Article/201001215519110?f=rss

The largest threat to American security is from jihadis, so I can't really blame these passengers for their zealotry. If muslims don't wish to be singled out they ought to be more vocal in condemning terrorist acts rather than a few scattered imams/masjids here and there.

19. 184550 Guest

Eh, this point has been raised in every single thread he's posted. I don't know why he insists in rehashing the same thing over and over.

20. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

So did the guys that hijacked the planes for 9/11.

Sorry, I have zero confidence in TSA agents.

21. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Probably good old fashioned left-wing white liberal guilt?

"Look at how awful white people are, we treat anyone who is remotely exotic like pariahs and scapegoats, we ought to be ashamed of ourselves for, not only this, but Christian inspired imperialism" etc.

Anyway, I only joined in February of this year so I don't know about the other posts, I'm just going by this post.

22. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I get the feeling it was the pilot with the problem and the excuse he came up with was that passengers felt threatened.

Either way it is pretty sickening.

23. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I think Israel is the last place one should look for the "right way" to do something. Let's not forget that until fairly recently (maybe even still true now) the vast majority of Israels cabinet were ex-terrorists.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

By what measure?

25. 184550 Guest

Rather ironic statement given your 'tar.

At least it's all in your mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.