2 of 7 Soldiers Who Wrote 'NYT' Op-Ed Die in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Sep 15, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

It's interesting (and sad) that when you ask the troops if they should be in Iraq, most say no; they have no clue what their mission is because they don't have one.

When you ask the Iraqi's if their country is a better place now than it was before we invaded and overthrew the government, an overwhelming majority say it is a worse place to live. That is, the 3 million that haven't had to flee the country say it is worse off now than before.

Yet, this country seems to accept the word of lifetime politicians and yes-men (Patraeus) over the word of the people actually there, and over the word of the very people who this president claims to have "freed".

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not only that, but we have a Republican Congressman in Montana claiming that one of these guys was too stupid to actually write this, and that he was nothing more than a tool of the anti-war left.

Can you imagine what would happen if a Democrat had called a soldier stupid or a tool of the right?

Oh yeah, we don't have to imagine. It happened to John Kerry (supposedly called the troops stupid in his botched joke) and MoveOn.org who called Gen. Petreaus a tool of the pro-war right. Wonder when the Very Serious People in DC will call for this guy to recant his troop-hate. I imagine I'll be waiting quite a while... IOKIYAR.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My thoughts go out to those families. :(

I haven't been the biggest fan of the things Friedman has been saying during the war era, because I think he left behind the principled position he preached in the Lexus and the Olive Tree days, but I thought that he made this point very well...

5. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

I just read that too. Disgusting. But of course you won't hear them talk about it. Just like they won't talk about Boener's comment about the "small sacrifice". They're too busy attacking those involved with orgs like Moveon. Even those who are actually vets themselves.

Meanwhile, Ari Fleischer's hit squad is perfectly acceptable.