2 out of 3 gfx cards discontinued (Aussie Store)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Vylen, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Vylen macrumors 65816

So yea...

Actually, I don't even know why I was looking at graphics cards for the Mac Pro - I don't even own one. But every now and then I look them up.

Anyway, the Australian store only has 3 cards:
    - EVGA GeForce GTX 285
    - NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 and
    - NVIDIA GeForce GT 120.

The first two have suddenly been discontinued - they were available at least a couple days ago, so it could've happened during todays store update.

I have checked the UK store, they're still available... can't check the US store right now cause it's down again.
    [EDIT] US store up - they still have them for delivery[/EDIT]

Anyway - what do people think this means? (Aside from us Aussies getting the short end of the stick again :p)

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Because the 200 Nvidia series and 4800 ATI series cards stopped manufacturing like 8 months ago.

3. Vylen thread starter macrumors 65816

Damn you and your logical answers!

4. hexagonheat macrumors member

It's kind of hilarious actually in a weird way. I was trying to point out to someone on a blog the other day about how the cards Apple uses are marked up 200% when compared to an identical card you can buy in a retail store. I couldn't even find anyone selling the older cards anymore. Think about that, Apple's best gpu in their highest priced >$3K system is so old that they aren't even manufactured anymore.

5. OZMP macrumors 6502

No 4870 available locally, US ones wont ship internationally, went through this the other day when my 8800gt died.

Time to sell machine, build NAS, build cheap/powerful PC tower with W7