2 phones bought outright? Can I sell to friend who has Dec. ship date?

ChimpNamedEnid

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
I've tried to find a post similar to my situation with no luck..

I bought 2 X's yesterday (256 Silver and 256 SG). One was purchased via Apple App (replace current device - AT&T) through the reservation email process, which took forever, and the other was purchased directly from the AT&T app.

Since I bought both phones outright at full price, I'm assuming they are unlocked, BUT, I'm also curious as to if they will arrive already tied to my account?

The reason for my question is that my buddy got a December ship date and I told him whatever color I don't decide, I'll just sell to him as I have an early Nov. arrival. My fear is that we will run into problems with activating if they are tied to me...

Any insight is appreciated.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Quick answer yes, when you buy the X it is tied to an account. But You should be able to sell it. Since he’s ur friend he can just remove the sim that came with the phone. You will have a better piece of mind that he won’t screw your over. Good luck.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
No you wont be allowed. Someone else on the forum will be along soon to tell you why and explain why you legally have to sell it to them.

sparkhill

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Unlock it first with your sim and then remove the sim...your sim and sell it.
Although well intentioned, I think this is the wrong advice. I think you friend should insert his/her SIM in the phone before it is ever turned on. The phone locks to a carrier when turned in for the first time. You can get it unlocked but that is just unecessary hassle. If you both have the same carrier, it is not as big of a deal.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
If it’s paid full price from Apple then it should be unlocked..
U sure you are not suppose to unlock through itunes?? Hmm okay.
[doublepost=1509204462][/doublepost]
Although well intentioned, I think this is the wrong advice. I think you friend should insert his/her SIM in the phone before it is ever turned on. The phone locks to a carrier when turned in for the first time. You can get it unlocked but that is just unecessary hassle. If you both have the same carrier, it is not as big of a deal.
Sim first?

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
I'm actually in the same situation...ordered one from Apple but it was reserved for me, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to complete the order so I went ahead and ordered another one from BestBuy and was wondering if I can sell one of them...

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
This is false. Full price iPhones from Apple never lock no matter what SIM you use. If you buy from AT&T full price though, that will be locked to ATT and you will have to submit an unlock request.

Reactions: missbing

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Nope that’s not true. If the phone is purchased full price from Apple... (has to be both full price from Apple), then it is automatically unlocked.

missbing

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
Can’t you just call AT&T, disconnect the line and it’ll be all set to go to your friend? Once the line is disconnected, then your friend can just remove the SIM and put in his. Or is that incorrect?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Can’t you just call AT&T, disconnect the line and it’ll be all set to go to your friend? Once the line is disconnected, then your friend can just remove the SIM and put in his. Or is that incorrect?
Disconnecting the line is excessive and unnecessary lols. It’s like shutting the entire power plant if u just want one bulb replaced. Lmao