Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blazinz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
One is going to my wife she wants a 5s. That one is done.

Second, i was going to use but I'm coming from a 5 and just don't see it nessessary to get a 5s this year. But with the upgrade to burn I could always buy and resell for a small profit. Next year ill have a upgrade again for the 6 which I def will buy. So not concerned with saving it.

With that what would I need to do to sell an unopened phone.? I've sold phones before. Wiped them, taken the sims out ect.. But is there anything else needed for an unopened phone ??

OMAC83

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2013
No even easier, I assume if its an upgrade it'll b locked to carrier, sometimes depending on who it is they open the box to lock device, as far as I know all phones carriers receive are unlocked to begin with and once sim is inserted it locks to that carrier so they may not allow you to have the phone without it being locked?

blazinz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Locked, but locked to att which is what I have? I'm confused. Are you saying I can only sell it to someone wanting an AT&T phone. I'm pretty sure the phone is locked when I'm paying a subsidized price. I know people buy n sell their upgrades all the time I'm just trying to figure out how it's done.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
I always sell one of my iPhone upgrades. I order my iPhones online -- so it comes locked to AT&T and with a SIM card inside that is programmed to the number already. I just take the sim out and then sell it on eBay or wherever.

blazinz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
So it is really easy then. I wasn't planning on hitting a store for a phone. Just wake up, order both phones online and wait till they come in then sell one. If the SIM card is the only thing holding me to the phone then it's a pretty simple sell.

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
Correct-just be sure and remove that SIM.

So it is really easy then. I wasn't planning on hitting a store for a phone. Just wake up, order both phones online and wait till they come in then sell one. If the SIM card is the only thing holding me to the phone then it's a pretty simple sell.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Correct-just be sure and remove that SIM.

He doesn't even have to do that. The sim inside the phone won't be active; that is done manually over the internet or over the phone. The buyer can either activate that sim to his/her line or pop in a currently active micro sim. No need to open up the package... will probably get more money for a completely sealed phone.

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
I missed the "unopened" part.:rolleyes:

He doesn't even have to do that. The sim inside the phone won't be active; that is done manually over the internet or over the phone. The buyer can either activate that sim to his/her line or pop in a currently active micro sim. No need to open up the package... will probably get more money for a completely sealed phone.

blazinz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Thanks for the help everyone!!

Its good to know i don't even need to open the package. I wasnt looking into it yet but mentioned to friend i was gonna order it and sell it for msrp to make a quick buck. This person in turn mentioned to a buddy who later contacted me offering $750 for the 16gb gold. :eek: I didnt realize till I looked later and saw some on ebay for $900+. Scoop is he thinks he can get $1k+ a phone.. Think this might be the easiest deal for me..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.