2 Verizon iPhones, 1 iTunes on an old Windows XP Laptop

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HappyDude20, Feb 4, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

As a gift for my folks, I got them an iPhone each on Verizon.

They have one old Windows XP at home, obviously with only 1 iTunes.

My concern is how will this work, considering i'm sure my mom and dad, each respectively, would want their own music on each iPhone, and their own apps?

It seems like its going to be cumbersome to sync up each iPhone to one old XP laptop every time, considering how they'll go about saving their photos taken from the iPhone and what not?

...(this is why i've been yelling at them for years to get a Mac :D:apple:)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It shouldnt be a problem.
    Make sure the itunes is updated to the latest version. They can even share apps and wont have to buy them twice, just use the same itunes login.
    About music they can create their own playlists and sync just the songs they want from the library.

3. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

+1

My wife an I were using 2 different computers to sync our iPhones but our desktop is just so damn slow we decided to use the laptop to sync both our phones and it actually works great.

Just like the two different playlists, you can sync contacts separately too. If you use Outlook to sync contacts, create a separate profile for each user and set up iTunes to sync as necessary for each user.

4. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

You could also create two separate libraries if they want to each have their own list of playlists. I am syncing three iPod Touches on one computer that way. Just Shift-Click on the iTunes icon to launch the program, and keep holding the shift button down until the box pops up asking you to choose which library you want to open.

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

So, will these seperate libraries allow for seperate Apple I.D. logins?

My concern is that they'll each want their own set of music, own set of different apps and undoubtedly, their own set of contacts. My dad's will be most likely business related and mom's will consist of numerous (& I mean numerous) relatives phone numbers.

6. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

Yes. They could each use their own Apple Store login, or the same, or sometimes use different ones. It's not tied to their iTunes library.

7. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

To open iTunes or to sync an iPhone, you do not need Apple ID log-ins. You only need the Apple ID's for the Apple Store.

As posted before, you can sync two iPhones with 1 computer / 1 iTunes. When they sync with Outlook, they can create different address books for each user and choose which to sync with which phone. Same way for the music and apps. How difficult is this to understand?

8. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

It's not difficult for me to understand; but its a matter of my folks understanding, of which who cringe anytime they need to open that laptop.

My concern is, when either of their phones are connected to their laptop and hence iTunes, will iTunes open accordingly to the appropiate account connected with the particular iPhone that is connected?

9. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

I must admit that I do not know what iTunes will do if both phones were connected to the computer at the same time. Other than that, iTunes will recognize each phone as a separate entity and will remember the sync settings for each phone separately and will sync accordingly.

For example, if phone A was setup to sync to playlist A, contacts that are on Outlook address book A and 50 apps, that is all it will sync unless you make changes to it.

If phone B was setup to sync to playlist B, contacts that are on Outlook address book B and 300 apps, that is all it will sync unless you make changes to it.

Unless settings are changed manually, the phones will not get sync'd with the other person's stuff.

10. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Thank you so much. I'm gonna go and relay this info to my dad and hopefully won't have to bump this thread up again.