20 gig color ipod versus 30 gig color ipod

Mood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
NY
are there any real advantages of the 20 gig color ipod over the 30 gig color ipod? Battery life? hdd speed, new software???

i ask this because i'm doing cram and jam, and need to get either one or the other.

also, i plan to have this ipod for like 4 years. is the warranty worth it (like if i "accidentally" broke the ipod for a new 5th generation one :) ), as i have limitd money after buying a 12 inch powerbook.

MANY RESPNSES NOW

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I could be wrong, but I think the 20gb and 30gb color iPods are pretty much technically identical other than the HD size. The 30gb is a little big thicker and heavier, though.

As for AppleCare, it's not a warranty, it's a "service plan". I know, stupid distinction, but a distinction nonetheless. At any rate, it does not cover accidental damage of any sort... Only product malfunctions.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
The 30GB iPod is IDENTICAL to the 20GB iPod. Thickness, weight, software, battery life, etc. are all THE SAME!!! The only difference is Apple is no longer making the 30GB iPod and the 30GB iPod has 50% more capacity than the 20GB iPod.

Sam I Am

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
Ann Arbor, MI
MovieCutter said:
The 30GB iPod is IDENTICAL to the 20GB iPod. Thickness, weight, software, battery life, etc. are all THE SAME!!! The only difference is Apple is no longer making the 30GB iPod and the 30GB iPod has 50% more capacity than the 20GB iPod.
Nope, the 30GB is a little bit thicker than the 20GB. But other than that, they're the same (besides the capacity of course).

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Sam I Am said:
Nope, the 30GB is a little bit thicker than the 20GB. But other than that, they're the same (besides the capacity of course).
Not to be too technical, but the 30GB and 20GB color screen iPods are both .63 inches thick, not that's it's very noticeable anyway.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
They are identical except for the extra GBs on the 30. I'd suggesting getting a third party warranty from a company called (ironically enough) Mack. It's about $40 for 3 extra years at B&H PhotoVideo.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Austin, TX
I think the confusion here comes from the fact that the new 20GB "color" iPod is slightly thinker than the "old" 20GB b/w iPod, but it is identical in size to the 30GB iPod. So the "old" 20GB and 30GB models were not quite the same, but the "new" 20GB and 30GB models are identical other than HDD space.

Sam I Am

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
Ann Arbor, MI
danny_w said:
I think the confusion here comes from the fact that the new 20GB "color" iPod is slightly thinker than the "old" 20GB b/w iPod, but it is identical in size to the 30GB iPod. So the "old" 20GB and 30GB models were not quite the same, but the "new" 20GB and 30GB models are identical other than HDD space.
Yep, that's what I did, I compared the "old" one. I didn't know the new one is thicker than the old one. Sorry for any confusion.

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
MovieCutter said:
That's some number crunching you did there.

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2005
I have a question, My 20 gb Fourth Generation iPod (non-color screen) broke, if I return it, will apple give me the new color screen iPod?
I bought this iPod Christmas last year, what will happen?

theonenonlyjoey

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2004
San Jose, CA
You will be given the same iPod that you currently have. I asked if anything happened to my third -gen iPod if it would be replaced with a fourth -gen and the answer was no.