Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
Well I just hooked up my new 20inch Apple Display to my windows computer. I used apple's ADC to DVI adpater. Ran like a charm. Only complant is that the fonts look like crap, so much better in Mac OS X. Even with Clear type on it still looks bad. I decided to play battlefield on it. It played so well it was incredible, i saw no ghosting at all that made me want to go back to my crt. Just thought I would let you guys know if you were planning on getting one and putting it on your pc.

iJon

mattmack

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2002
San Francisco Area
Re: 20 inch Display on Windows

Originally posted by iJon
Well I just hooked up my new 20inch Apple Display to my windows computer. I used apple's ADC to DVI adpater. Ran like a charm. Only complant is that the fonts look like crap, so much better in Mac OS X. Even with Clear type on it still looks bad. I decided to play battlefield on it. It played so well it was incredible, i saw no ghosting at all that made me want to go back to my crt. Just thought I would let you guys know if you were planning on getting one and putting it on your pc.

iJon
It's cool to know that Apple is puuting out a quality product:)

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Do you by chance have the resolution at maximum. If not, that would be the problem with the display. But I've had similar problems with VPC before it was Carbonized. Good to hear that the display works.

TEG

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by TEG
Do you by chance have the resolution at maximum. If not, that would be the problem with the display. But I've had similar problems with VPC before it was Carbonized. Good to hear that the display works.

TEG
1600x1200 with a 4x agp geforce4ti4400 128mb vram

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I was actually wondering if you could use the apple displays on PCs. I currently use an ibook mostly but play games on a PC and don't want two monitors when I get round to buying a desktop mac.

losfp

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
The 20" has a resolution of 1680 x 1050 so there's probably some fudging there to get it to fit - just wondering, have you tried using one of those custom resolution apps, like powerstrip? the quality would probably be great if running at the display's native resolution :)

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by losfp
The 20" has a resolution of 1680 x 1050 so there's probably some fudging there to get it to fit - just wondering, have you tried using one of those custom resolution apps, like powerstrip? the quality would probably be great if running at the display's native resolution :)

Yeah, pushing it over the native res will create havoc, regardless of which display you are using.

If Apple sold displays that used the standard resolutions, I am sure more PC guys would buy them. Same idea as the Windows version of the iPod. PC horsepower with sweet Apple LCD would be the near perfect thing for me.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
The 20" is absolutely gourgous! At CompUSA yesterday it was funny watching people stand and stare as I played some WarCraft III at the store. That display looks soooooooooooooooooo goooooooooood.

We need to add a *drool* smilie to this forum! :D

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
no, i dont plan on putting some 3rd party stuff to get me 50 more pixels out of windows. i have kept my windows machine niec and clean, becasue of this my xp is as stable as os x. i was actually surprised how well it played bf. the game was just so bright and clear. it probably looked so good to me because my pc is usually hooked up to my 20 inch apple vision crt (what a POS). I soon plan on having just this 20 inch lcd, my apple keyboard, and this microsoft mouse on one kvm switch. only thing holding me back is that adc kvm switches cost about 300, which for that much ill just keep my crt around. the only thing i dont like is windows on it. When i boot up my pc and see the ugly bios start up it degrades my screen. then having ugly windows task bar down there makes it look like trash. if you get this screen, make sure you have a powermac with a nice apple startup and a beautiful os x to go on it so you will feel better about your screen.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.