20 Things We Don't Know About the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unlimitedx, Jan 27, 2012.

1. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

Read this article from 4 years ago. Reading this now, after 4 years later some of the 20 things seem silly. But read #20:

20. Will the iPhone really "change the world"? The iPod "changed the world" because everyone bought one. But will the iPhone's price, Cingular-only support, lack of business usability, and other factors really make the iPhone just a niche luxury toy for the rich?

So, has the iPhone changed the world?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/128511/20_things_we_dont_know_about_the_iphone.html

2. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

GE uses iPhone

Business usability much? Cingular-only support? really? Toy for the rich? I would call a Vertu that, rather than an iPhone. Enterprise integration has become integral in iOS since OS 3.0 if I'm not mistaken.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

In 2007, a $600 phone with limited features was a toy for wealthier people.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Now it's a phone for poor, indebted people (Westerners).

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Given the reaction in China, it's also a phone for poor, politically repressed Easterners as well. And given the reported ban in Syria, a phone for non-elite Middle Eastern activists...

6. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Easy there big guy, loosen your kilt. There's plenty of debt on your side of the pond as well. Ever hear of Greece?

7. LeeM macrumors 6502a

I'd say it's had a big impact on The world. There's degree courses on writing smartphone apps now I think! Everything has an iPhone app, they've evolved into iPads which are everywhere! Workplace, school, home etc.

8. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

LOL, Scotland and Greece are part of the Western World, the poster was including himself in the comment.

9. cynics macrumors G4

Hahahah, psst still westerners lol

10. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

True, and I should engage my brain before I pop off. Thanks for waking my ass up. :)

11. VulchR, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

LOL - we all make minor gaffs. When I first arrived in the UK from the US almost 20 years ago I was asked if we had Ford in the US, followed by a similar question about Kellog's. :eek:

Mind you, my father asked me once if he needed shots traveling from the US to the UK.

As for the kilt comment...
    [​IMG]

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

this was a big problem with touch screen phones back in the day, and for some reason, manufacturers other than apple can't figure this out.

blackberry and android handsets still have this problem..

13. 3282868 macrumors 603

Sigh. I wish I was back in the U.K. ... are you adopting? lol ;)

14. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Look at smartphones before the iPhone. Now look at smartphones after the iPhone.

There not a single doubt in my mind that the iPhone revolutionised the industry as we know it. Even Android fanboys have agreed with me on that one.

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Back when the iPhone came out I was rocking a razor and a rebranded htc. Trust me it was painful. Switched to the iPhone and never looked back. Have purchased various android handsets over the years but there a chore to use. But each and every iPhone just gets better!

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sorry - I served my duty raising my own kids. Which country are you in now?

I'm pretty happy to be in the UK - health care costs from a life-threatening illness would have bankrupted me in the US. I am even more ecstatic that I'm in Scotland (whiskey, Highlands, unspoilt shorelines, open countryside and freedom to roam in it, snow, the bagpipes, and mostly wonderful folk) than some other parts of the UK. :D

Mind you, the UK is much less enthusiastic about damned foreigners these days, but they can't take their xenophobia out on EU immigrants, so the rest of us, even those of us from the US or the Commonwealth, get additional scrutiny... I can see it getting ugly if the UK economy keeps tanking.