20 years ago was the end of which century?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Administration officials held a closed door meeting at the UN to discuss women's issues and to express how out of touch they are.

… including abstinence-based policies over information about contraception — that were further to the right than those expressed by most other countries present, including Russia and the representative for the Arab states …

Further to the right than Arab states.

Early in this series of meetings, Bethany Kozma … emphasized that the US was a “pro-life nation.” … “When she said that there was sort of a record scratch and silence,” (said) one UN official who participated … “Everyone was like, ‘are you kidding me?’”

“They’re far more extreme than the US was under the Bush administration,” (International Women's Health Coalition director Shannon) Kowalski told BuzzFeed …

What century do these people think they are living in?

… officials discussed shifting international policy on women toward abstinence-oriented education and teaching women sexual “refusal skills.” …

I would not worry too much about that burning sensation — that is just the irony.

2. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Sometimes I feel like I've been transplanted to some other country while sleeping.

I don't mean that I've slept through the reactionary pressures we have been living through, just that some days the absurdity of it all in this day and age just hits me like a hammer in its entirety, all over again and all at once.

Makes me want to pick up a copy of Lady Chatterly's lover to see if it's shocking.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

@LizKat, you're:
    - an older woman,
    - with several cats,
    - who knows esotertic subjects (spelling, math, databases),
    - and can communicate with beings in distant places.

You might want to avoid swimming, large market scales, and ducks.

4. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

LOL! I'm jes' sayin'

JesSaying.jpg

5. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

This is why I sometimes feel like Trump is executing the biggest practical joke in history. It just feels like, with every single policy issue, they deliberately adopt the most regressive position they can possibly take. No real adminstration could possibly be this evil, could they?

6. LizKat, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018

LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Maybe just business minded. Evil? Well when Trump's kinda business is par for course, who knows.

Wait until this guy Bridenstine gets confirmed this afternoon for NASA chief... and then we'll see whether we stay in a time warp or try to shoot the moon (again). He's been a Navy pilot and does seem aware that we've been to the moon. He however wants us to go back there because he says we can exploit its mineral resources. He says that he won't politicize NASA (just the moon??). If confirmed, he will be the first pol to lead NASA, so the nomination itself was a politicization. He has no formal science or engineering qualifications but has degrees from Rice and an MBA from Cornell. A procedural vote on Wednesday first locked up 49-49 and Pence was away so could not break the tie; Jeff Flake changed his vote to get Bridenstine over that hurdle 50-48. Final vote today probably not much different, most "contentious" in NASA leadership history.

EDIT: Yep, Bridenstine was confirmed NASA chief today by the Senate, 50-49 on a party line vote (McCain out for surgery). Usually NASA heads get voted in almost unanimously.

So on the thread topic, it's not that we don't know what century we're in, or even how women fit into it, it's that we have guys in this administration who want to do the whole 20th century over again starting (and sticking) with the robber baron era.

7. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

I often see comparisons to Middle East states but even they’re more advanced than this! A bunch of old men hiding behind closed doors to talk about women’s health issues? It’s demented.

8. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Women are apparently silly little birds that need a man to tell them what is good for them. I mean, dios mio, look how terrifyingly close we came to having one for a president.

9. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Right. Yet other countries have had female heads of state. It is an option, and where it's been taken up, it would seem the focus is on the policies of the party in power, not on the head of state as male or female.

We in the US are celebrity crazed, aside from picking our way through an era of hyperpartisan political views. You can tell just from glancing at the "most emailed" list of top five articles from any online newspaper. Some volcano may have erupted but if a movie star announced a marital separation then... later for the photos of ash clouds in the sky.

So we stare at the top slot of our government as if it were a place for best actor or actress, not elucidator of best policy. No wonder we're going down the tubes one election at a time. Was it Trump's little hands or his long necktie got the award? Hillary wore the wrong outfit? Yes, yes, I know some here think black and white stripes or an orange jumpsuit would have taken the prize...