200.6gb down to 153.5bg after wiping/cleaning entire Mac HD? HUH?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hunraken, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Hunraken macrumors newbie

Several days ago, I decided to wipe my MacBook Pro and start from scratch, on account of a hunch that I may have accidentally deleted items I wasn't supposed to, which was making it slightly sluggish. Anyway, the process went fine, however I noticed when I took stuff out of my Time Machine, the HD back then said it had about 200.6gb free space. When I checked the free space I had after the clean sweep, it now only amounts to about 153.5gb. What the heck?! Now, I have added a few podcasts and some minute programs in between to enjoy my fresh start, but...those downloads add up nowhere NEAR such a tremendous loss of disk space. Am I missing hidden files or did the wipe take some extra space for some reason? I performed the 7-over wipe, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It didn't seem like it would, I mean...all it does is wipe 7 times, but I am slightly concerned with such a chunk of my space missing. Any feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hunraken thread starter macrumors newbie

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Run Disk Utility again on the your Install DVD and see if you have bad sectors.

4. Hunraken thread starter macrumors newbie

Would I be using the 1st install cd, or do I not need it?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The first Install DVD is the one you want to use.

Can you also tell us, what HDD you have got (size)?

6. Hunraken thread starter macrumors newbie

My HDD total space consists of 232.57gb, and APPARENTLY I have used 79.04gb, leaving 153.52gb remaining. I *know* for a fact I haven't downloaded anything that adds up to that. My iTunes is probably 25gb, my Apps folder is about 3.5gb, and my other important stuff amounts to about 35.88gb. So where do you think the other gb went?

7. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Run Disk Inventory X to see what is taking up the disk space

http://www.derlien.com/

gives a graphical overview of whats on your system

8. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

25gb + 3.5gb + 35.88gb = approximately 64.5gb. Add the installation footprint for your operating system (Mac OS X). Done.