200 dollars off at bestbuy Canada...too good to pass up?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macman63, Dec 4, 2013.

  1. macman63 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2013
    #1
    Hey all. I've been extremely happy with my early 2011 MBA and the little bugger is still humming along as well as the day I bought it. However, now that I am working, I have a little more spending cash, and as someone who works with video editing and enjoys the odd game that isn't available on Playstation, the time is coming to upgrade to a rMBP. I was possibly thinking about holding out one more refresh cycle, but just saw that my local best buy has the maxed out rMBP 15 (16gb ram, 512 ssd, nvidia card) for 2400 instead of 2600. Small dent, but one nonetheless. Would waiting for the next spec bump even be worth it at 2600, or is now the time to treat myself to an early Christmas present?
     
  2. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2013
    #2
    i say get it now :D 200 is a really nice bottle of something something for the holidays :D
     
  3. firedept macrumors 603

    firedept

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere!
    #3
    Sounds good if you can afford it now without strapping yourself for cash. Feel a little jealous on my end. Sell your MBA if you no longer need it and think about how much further ahead you can be yet!
     
  4. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2010
    #4
    I've had really good luck with Best Buy over the last year or two with open box items. I picked up the exact model rMBP it sounds like you are looking at for $2000 USD back in May. They were doing 10% open box, which made it something like $2120 from the open box price. I asked if they would go $2k, but they rejected the offer but suggested I come back at the end of the open box sale and talk to them then. Went in the following week where they had the model still, offered $2k and they took it. Had to pay tax, but that was a great deal and I'm happy with it now seeing what Apple did with the revision and the higher model only getting the Nvidia card.

    Point being, maybe try and haggle with them? If it has a dent and is only $200 off the current retail price, that doesn't seem like enough to me personally. Open box should be a min of 10% off, maybe 15%. But that's for a perfect item.

    Anyway, good luck!

    *Edit - I think you are referring to the current gen rMBP. Ignore most of my comments above, but I still stand by the statement on the dent and the open box discount percentages.
     

Share This Page