$200 replacement fee for iPhone 5?

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm trying to figure out if Applecare+ is worth it or not....

Does Apple still offer the $200 replacement fee for the iPhone 5? If so, does that cover ANYTHING? Say I drop it in a lake or something?

If so, I feel like Applecare+ wouldn't be worth it. If something happens, I can just replace it for $200 vs Applecare+ for $150. Basically Applecare+ is $150 just in case something happens? But if I never drop it, I don't have to pay $150.

Any input?

Thanks!

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

Does Apple still offer the $200 replacement fee for the iPhone 5? If so, does that cover ANYTHING? Say I drop it in a lake or something?

If so, I feel like Applecare+ wouldn't be worth it. If something happens, I can just replace it for $200 vs Applecare+ for $150. Basically Applecare+ is $150 just in case something happens? But if I never drop it, I don't have to pay $150.

Any input?

Thanks!
not sure, but i think you get two replacements with applecare.. so its for sure worth it

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I believe it's a little more for the iPhone 5. I was in an Apple Store last week and there was a girl there who dropped her new 5 and shattered the glass after just two days. I believe he told her some something in the $230 area, maybe $239.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Any input?

Thanks!
It's $230 or so for the iPhone 5, $200 for the 4, and less for the 4.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I believe it's a little more for the iPhone 5. I was in an Apple Store last week and there was a girl there who dropped her new 5 and shattered the glass after just two days. I believe he told her some something in the $230-$240 price range.
What I wonder is... Is it still $230 (or $240) for each size of iPhone, whether it is 16, 32, or 64 GB???

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
You get 2 replacements but each one is another 50$ deductible....
right..

so $200 will get you two replacements vs $200 with no applecare

----------

i read somewhere that they might be doing screen replacements in store for $100? since its much easier to replace now

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hmm...But still that's not awful, compared to full retail price. I'm very good with my electronics, I'm not planning on dropping it. Maybe I should just take a chance and not get Applecare+.

Does that replacement cost only apply to the first year of warranty though?

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
At least in the US:

$99 for AppleCare Plus, which entitles you to two replacements for accidental damage at $49 each. After you use your two accidental damage replacements, you'll be billed the standard out-of-warranty replacement cost. Also increases the manufacturer's warranty from 1 year to 2 years.

Out of warranty replacement cost (after AppleCare expires, or for accidental damage not otherwise covered) is $229 for iPhone 5, $199 for iPhone 4S and $149 for iPhone 4.

Manufacturers defects (non-accidental defects) that occur during the warranty period (either standard 1 year or AppleCare Plus extended period) are covered free of charge.

AppleCare Plus does not cover loss/theft. You have to have possession of your broken phone to get a replacement.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Hmm...But still that's not awful, compared to full retail price. I'm very good with my electronics, I'm not planning on dropping it. Maybe I should just take a chance and not get Applecare+.

Does that replacement cost only apply to the first year of warranty though?
I think its worth it if you plan to keep your phone for the full 2 year length of a carrier contract. If you plan to upgrade in a year to the next model--then I think its not worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.