20000 troops in US by 2011

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dukebound85, Nov 30, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i totally agree with you, if you want a military homeland law enforcement, you got the national guard.

but what concerns me more right now is why the pentagon is pulling national guard men and dropping them in active duty zones where full-service soldiers are suppose to be, rather then our local troops

4. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Shouldn't red be higher than orange, seeing that orange is closer to yellow? I can barely follow this security theater.

It seems like the U.S. is doing its best to become a third world country. Police have recently set up roadblocks near my hometown to "stop drunk drivers" by interrogating everyone who is in a car, and now we're going to have soldiers patrolling our streets?

What the ****, America?

5. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Yeah, that's not what the terrorists want. :rolleyes:

Uniformed troops... wtf.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is one of the first things Obama needs to deal with.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Playing devil's advocate here, were an attack to occur and we didn't have properly trained people, on the ground, ready to go at a moment's notice, we'd all be calling for the President's head.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

while I echo the concerns implied by other posts, I am not sure that I think this is necessarily a bad idea.

Much of my criteria rely on information not available yet - where these forces are to be drawn from, what the breakdown of their roles would be, how they would integrate/interact with civilian and/or police services, and how this would be paid for.

In the broadest terms, I am in favor of improved response in the face of a disaster - either man-made or natural. If such a solution can be shown to improve such a response - then ok. In some instances, military command-structure lends itself well to crisis response.

That said, it is indeed a slippery slope to begin towards.

Perhaps intelligently done, however, this could prove to be beneficial. That being a rather large perhaps at this point...

While I certainly don't think there is a bomb behind every corner, or some such nonsense - I do believe we have come to a point where the US is no longer immune to security issues that plague many other parts of the globe. This seems to be a (possible) extension of that realization.

I'd like to hear competing ones, of course.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Consider this scenario:

Someday we could end up with another idiot President like W, perhaps even someone like (gasp) Palin. Would you trust this kind of power in the hands of someone like that?

10. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Or we may end up with an intelligent, yet malicious president.

11. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

how much larger will the US population be in 2011? How does this increase affect domestic troop/civilian ratio?

12. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Lol Marxist dictatorship. You yanks really need some lessons on political theory.

I like the Gestapo reference too. Commie-Nazis ftw!

14. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Neither Obama nor McCain would do anything to stop this. It seems to be inevitable unless the people of America actually do something about it.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

16. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Again, I guess I look at this differently than a lot of people because it doesn't bother me at all...

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Oooooookay. The US is getting a lil bit paranoid.

18. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

at what point does it begin to bother you?

its the trend that worrying, no matter how small of a step

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It already had, and we did have them on the ground, and mobilized. Alfred P. Murrah Building, OKC, 1995. Oklahoma's State Emergency Operations Center, CAP, USAF, and Oklahoma Nat'l Guard were there within minutes of the bombing. Tinker AFB is less than 5 minutes drive from downtown OKC.

BL.

20. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That works great in a OKC... but trying doing that in a large congested city, ie Los Angeles, New York, San Fransisco? That wouldn't work. Heck look what happened during 911. Yes there were police and fire, but not the guard. They couldn't get there if they wanted to. Remember the LA Riots? The guard along with other police agencies had a really tuff time getting into the city due to the traffic etc.

21. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I pretty much agree with blackfox.

Maybe I should be a little more paranoid when it comes to the government, but as of right now I am not. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, that being that they are actually trying to protect us instead of bend us to some evil will.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

How would the military be any different when it comes to dealing with traffic? What- will they just bulldoze over cars with tanks to get where they need to go quickly? I don't see a difference here.

23. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Well it didn't work that way in both instances (LA Riots or 911). I didn't hear about any military bulldozing over any of the cars or trucks en route to the hot zone.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- so how would the military be any better in these cases? That's what I'm asking.

25. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Whoo.. I think we are talking about two things here. I was responding to bradl comments about how it worked for the military to respond to the OKC bombing. All of the units were on scene within seconds. My argument to that was it wouldn't work in an area that is densely populated ie New York or LA.

I wasn't referring to the article at hand. I was referring to his/her comments.