Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Microsoft Band, the wearable device Microsoft first introduced in late 2014, is being quietly phased out of existence. As of today, Microsoft has removed all Microsoft Band models from the Microsoft Online Store and has eliminated the Band Software Development Kit.

In a statement given to ZDNet, a Microsoft representative said that the company has sold through all of its Band 2 inventory and does not have plans to release a new Band wearable in 2016.

microsoftband2.jpg
"We have sold through our existing Band 2 inventory and have no plans to release another Band device this year. We remain committed to supporting our Microsoft Band 2 customers through Microsoft Stores and our customer support channels and will continue to invest in the Microsoft Health platform, which is open to all hardware and apps partners across Windows, iOS, and Android devices."
Following the Microsoft Band's 2014 release, Microsoft continued development on the device and released a second-generation model in October of 2015. Priced at $250, the second-generation Microsoft Band featured an optical heart rate monitor for measuring heart rate, an accelerometer and gyroscope for measuring movement, GPS, skin temperature sensors, and more.

It received poor reviews for its price point, design, battery life, and lack of utility, and despite Microsoft's efforts to push sales with an Apple Watch trade-in program, the Microsoft Band 2 failed to catch on.

Previous information shared by ZDNet has suggested Microsoft disbanded the team that was working to bring Windows 10 to the Microsoft Band and has relocated some of the hardware team. Sources have also told the site that Microsoft is planning to phase out the fitness band and has no plans to work on a Band 3.

Article Link: Microsoft Likely Discontinuing Microsoft Band Wearable Device

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Not surprising since Apple Watch Series 1 costs about the same and Fitbit sells much cheaper bands that offer much of the same functionalities.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Wearables are a solution in search of a problem.

This particular wearable can't even fit inside the sleeve of a dress shirt. It was also hard to find for 7 months after its release and came in multiple sizes just to make that even more difficult.

Otherwise, what you're saying is pretty baseless, the very fact that these devices track fitness and tell time means they already are a solution to a problem.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I think Microsoft's only product line that will stay in production is the Xbox, which arguably would have never succeeded if not for Apple.

The way they are rolling with PS4 eating their lunch, I'd save that honor for their first party keyboard and mouse set. I also wonder how long they will stay in the tablet market if they don't eclipse hardware partners soon?

Reactions: JGRE and max.ine

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
No surprise, Microsoft are failing big lately, hardware is not their strong point and the Band 2 just falls apart and is massive.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
And yet people ask why users are so sticky with Apple and don't venture outside of the garden. This is why. Just like Nest products, Revolv, and Glass. Just like hundreds of phones that stopped receiving support after 6 months on the market. Just like the Kin. And Jawbone.

So, so true. At least when you buy a new Apple product that forays into unknown territory, you have some reassurance that it won't be discontinued the next day.

You have some reassurance about resale value, parts still being manufactured for it, OS updates, build quality, hardware support... that's partly why we pay the premium.

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
And yet people ask why users are so sticky with Apple and don't venture outside of the garden. This is why. Just like Nest products, Revolv, and Glass. Just like hundreds of phones that stopped receiving support after 6 months on the market. Just like the Kin. And Jawbone.
Lmao the Kin! I remember seeing that thing and wondering just what they were thinking. That thing never had a snowballs chance. Hideous.

Reactions: muadibe

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Actually, it did much of what an Apple Watch does...it just sucked at it.
Microsoft Band was always marketed as fitness tracker first, with more sensors than competing devices. I know because I received it for free as a carrot to develop for it. Websites and marketing materials for both the original Band and new Band 2 barely mentions anything but fitness and health.

Unfortunately, Band was both too bulky and expensive.

Reactions: Romy90210

MR-LIZARD

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
UK
They killed off Xbox Fitness on Xbox One. They had a perfect partner product with Band but now they're killing that. They could have cross marketed these two products but I never saw a mention of either of them. (You could link your band via Microsoft Health Vault).

I'll admit that Xbox Fitness is great but the band was a bit of a dud. My watch has far more utility but it seems they had perfect partner products.

MS seem to make some good stuff at times but fail to get it off the ground with no marketing and fumbled ideas that don't quite live up to the hype. It then withers through lack of interest from the public (no devs, no communities, etc) and then they kill it off.

I can't see how anyone can be prepared to invest in a MS product at the moment when they barely give it any support and then kill it off.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wearables are a solution in search of a problem.

Not at all. They just aren't for everybody. From medical and fitness standpoints, they have tremendous "always-on" data-collecting value. Wearables is still a very young market, and Apple knows that.
[doublepost=1475521282][/doublepost]
...and what does this have to do with Apple?

slow news day?

I think you know the answer.

Apple Watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.