Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, popular API documentation browser Dash was removed from the App Store after Apple accused Dash's developer of fraudulent conduct and claimed he manipulated App Store reviews.

At the time, the developer denied the accusations and garnered the support of Dash app users who believed there had been a mix up and that he was not guilty, but Apple today provided more information to justify its position and the app's removal from the App Store.

dashapp-800x471.jpg

In statements given to iMore and The Loop, Apple says the developer owned two accounts with 25 apps, which had nearly 1,000 fake reviews. Both fraudulent positive reviews for his own apps and negative reviews for competing apps were involved.
"Almost 1,000 fraudulent reviews were detected across two accounts and 25 apps for this developer so we removed their apps and accounts from the App Store," Apple spokesperson, Tom Neumayr, said in a statement provided to The Loop on Monday.

"Warning was given in advance of the termination and attempts were made to resolve the issue with the developer but they were unsuccessful. We will terminate developer accounts for ratings and review fraud, including actions designed to hurt other developers. This is a responsibility that we take very seriously, on behalf of all of our customers and developers."
According to The Loop's Jim Dalrymple, Apple first sent a warning to the developer behind Dash two years ago and attempted to work with him "for some time" to put a stop to the App Store fraud. The behavior did not stop, leading to the account's termination last week.

Dash's developer specifically denied having been involved in App Store review manipulation in the blog post announcing Dash's removal from the App Store, but Apple has been adamant that fraud took place. Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller even got involved, confirming to a concerned developer that ratings and review fraud had led to the app's removal.

Apple's decision is final and there is no further appeals process, according to Dash's developer, who has yet to respond to the information Apple has provided today. Dash for iOS is unlikely to return to the iOS App Store, but Dash for Mac remains available outside of the Mac App Store.

Update: The developer behind Dash has shared his side of the story, placing the blame on a relative whose Apple Developer Program Membership he paid for.

He says he was not aware his account was linked to another until Friday and that he was not notified about any wrongdoing. He has shared a recorded phone conversation in which Apple says it will reactivate his account if he makes a blog post stating the truth that his account had been linked to an account with fraudulent activity.

Article Link: Apple Says 1,000 Fraudulent Reviews Were Detected Across Two Accounts Owned by 'Dash' Developer [Update: Developer Responds]

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
yet, FDG Mobile Games continue to release apps with these 5 star reviews for the past few years.

Then report the concerns instead of asking everyone to lower the bar across the board.

That said, it's a shame the developer had to make a spectacle of this only to be proven to be a liar. It's also a shame that several MR users felt the need to compare Apple with people like the Nazis simply because they happened to use an app. The people who went crazy with the histrionics really should look in the mirror and ask themselves why they were comfortable resorting to such complete and utter nonsense.

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
Why didn't Apple simply come out and say this at the beginning? It would have saved a lot of angst among other developers who feared that their apps could be targeted by a malicious competitor.

Everyone was worried that a competing company could simply pay a firm in India or wherever to post favorable ads for your app, then *boom* your app is suddenly deleted from the App Store, and your competitors have less competition....all with no appeal process from Apple.

Sounds like this didn't happen. Whew.

sutherland

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
I use Dash and love the app, I still have a hard time believing the developer needed to or had time to do this. I wonder if another developer trying to boost their rating mistakenly wrote a script that targeted the wrong app?

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
If the developer did nothing wrong and was being honest then explain to Apple and get the app reinstated. Those would have been the proper steps.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Why didn't Apple simply come out and say this at the beginning?

Because this isn't the sort of thing that should be publicised. Besides, it was the developer who made the fuss about it, not Apple. Now he's proven to have his hand in the cookie jar.

Didn't stop people previously jumping to conclusions, of course. And what conclusions they were.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I use Dash and love the app, I still have a hard time believing the developer needed to or had time to do this. I wonder if another developer trying to boost their rating mistakenly wrote a script that targeted the wrong app?

Then why didn't the Dash developer go public 2 years ago with a blog titled "Holy %#@# you won't believe what Apple thinks I'm doing!" ?

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Apple should prove that the reviews were coming from the developer IP. Maybe there is a bug or its a case of impersonation. Lets hear that developer again.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Why didn't Apple simply come out and say this at the beginning? It would have saved a lot of angst among other developers who feared that their apps could be targeted by a malicious competitor.
It was the developer that came out publicly first. Did Macrumors hold their article for a couple of days to give Apple to possibility to reply? I don't think so.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
How bizarre for the developer of a successful app to feel the need to resort to fraudulent reviews and yet Apple's stance on this seems very robust indeed, suggesting they are 100% confident in their decision.

That begs the question of how it was determined that Dash was a "successful" app, to begin with. Was it due to the large number of fraudulent positive reviews, perhaps?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Apple should prove that the reviews were coming from the developer IP. Maybe there is a bug or its a case of impersonation. Lets hear that developer again.

But that isn't the sort of thing Apple would overlook. Phil looked into this personally. It's a well known app. It's an app people readily recommend.

They'd know the media headlines as a result of this decision. It's not something they would have whimsically decided.

And this isn't in Apple's court to prove. It's their store. Their rules. The only reason we know about the situation is because the developer cried about it.

sutherland

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Then why didn't the Dash developer go public 2 years ago with a blog titled "Holy %#@# you won't believe what Apple thinks I'm doing!" ?

Well Apple says he had two accounts, it could be only the apps on the second account were having reviews manipulated and only that account warned. If it wasn't really him, he wouldn't have known.

I think both parties need to release more details before I know who to believe.

Reactions: CarlJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.