2006 MBP Video Card Fail, $300 to repair and get new battery, worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hari-bhari, Dec 6, 2010.

1. hari-bhari macrumors regular

I have a 2006 MBP and the video card just failed out of nowhere. The display was all garbled. Took it to the apple store and they confirmed my suspicions. Unfortunately, this is not the video card that was covered in the class-action suit (or whatever it was) where apple admitted fault and agreed to replace for free.

Anyhow, they are offering to change the video card for $300 and throw in a battery replacement. I am otherwise pretty happy with the laptop. Do you think it's worth doing, or is it likely that other components will continue to fail. Should I just go ahead and purchase a new one?

Help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

that system is rather dated I would really just buy a new macbook pro at this point. You never know what may fail next.
    Money pit.

3. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Sounds like a good deal to me, especially with the replacement battery. considering the video card is part of the logic board, they will be replacing most of the internals.

4. applepearpp macrumors regular

+1. see if you can get a replacement. i konw of someone who is lucky enough to get a brand new MBP from apple.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Depends how strapped you are for cash. If your MacBook Pro does everything you need it to do, I think $300 is a good price. It'll have old technology, but it'll be basically new with the logic board replacement.

6. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

$300 is definitely a deal - I'm surprised they still have logic boards laying around to replace it with...

7. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Personally I would go for it. I have a 06 mpb myself and though it may not be the latest and greatest, I still think it is a very capable computer. (plus if you decide to sell it later, you can ask much more for a working unit ;) )

8. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

i was under the impression that they would replace just the video card, not the whole logic board. anyways, it seems wise to go ahead and just pay for the fix. thanks for the tips