2007 Airport Extreme with the new Airport Express.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HarryPot, Jun 13, 2012.

1. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Currently I have an old AExtreme (2007), which can't be in both 5ghz and 2.4ghz frequencies at the same time. I also can't put it in N only because some family members still have old devices which require G.

So, if I buy the new AExpress, and extend the wireless from my AExtreme, will I be able to use dual-band and only N settings?

Thanks in advance.:)

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Do you need the Express to wirelessly extend the network to other parts of the house? If not, you can connect it directly to the Extreme and run the Express in bridge mode, allowing you to create up to two SSIDs with the Express with whichever settings you want on them without affecting the SSID that's broadcast by the Extreme.

3. HarryPot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, extending the range is something I'm seeking. I have very bad signal in some parts of the house.

But supposing I do what you say. Would I end up with two Wi-Fi networks?

4. skorpien, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

skorpien macrumors 68020

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, you would get up to two additional SSIDs, but they would operate as one giant network meaning that any client on your old Extreme would be able to communicate with clients on your new Express. For example, you would have one SSID called "Extreme" and with the Express you can create an "Express_2.4" and an "Express_5" SSID (it's not necessary to create two with the Express but you have the option), and a client on Extreme can communicate with any clients on Express_2.4 or Express_5.

I'm not sure if the new Express would be able to extend the network wirelessly and still be able to do what you need. I may be wrong but I was under the impression that in order for an Express to extend a network, it has to use the same exact settings as the network it extends. Again, this is speculation so if anybody that knows more can elaborate that would be great.

5. mellofello macrumors 65816

I have done a few installs with the old express. If you use it to extend the network wirelessly it will only rebroadcast the bandwidth at that location and not the full bandwidth from the modem. If it is possible to run a cat 5 wire to a closer location and then plug it into tour express you should have much faster results.

My guess is that you cannot use the dual band if using it as network extender. However if you set it up as its own network and run it in bridge it will have the option.