2007 MacBook won't run external monitor on battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DaREdBaRoN, Sep 5, 2013.

1. DaREdBaRoN macrumors member

Hi all,

I have a late 2007 MacBook that I primarily use as a desktop, hooked to a 23" monitor and apple keyboard/mouse. I have already replaced that battery once with an official apple battery. My concern is leaving the computer plugged in all the time is going to wear out the battery much faster than normal. So I decided to occasionally unplug it and drain the battery then charge it back up.

When I have the monitor connected, unplugging the charger cable causes everything to shut down. My external HD, USB DAC, and monitor all act like the computer is asleep. I can't wake the computer up with the mouse or keyboard. If I open the lid everything wakes up, but the external monitor is now a 2nd display, and closing the lid puts the computer back to sleep.

I don't remember having this problem before, does anyone know what would cause it? I know I can simply unhook everything but that is a pain I'd like to avoid.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

As far as I know, that is normal behaviour.

As to your battery and best practices, have a look at the following FAQ to not be lead by old habits.

• BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY