Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrOldboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
I've seen some threads regarding this on here, but didn't want to bump anything made to long ago as the macbook I am asking about is about 5 years old now and I dont know the policies anymore.

I have two issues, both I've only recently found out can be fixed free of charge (maybe?).

I did not find out until a friend mentioned that they could be replaced for free. He had the same issues and got replacement for both, but this was a year before now. I plan to go to an apple store tomorrow, but would like to know if I'm in for a challenge to get mine fixed.

1. Cracked front edge, apparently a VERY common issue and I've read posts and news stories claiming you can get it fixed out of warranty (certainly in warranty).

603101307_crack_122_789lo.jpg

2. Slightly bulging battery. I do not know what constitues bulging, but the edge near the lock is bulging, just the very edge. When it started appearing the battery ceased to work. This was years ago, but after the apple care ended so I thought I was SOL. The bulge was noticeably larger than it is now, the middle bulged a bit out, but now its flat and only the edge still bulges out.

603100377_bulge_122_255lo.jpg

Can or should these issues be fixed for free?

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I've seen some threads regarding this on here, but didn't want to bump anything made to long ago as the macbook I am asking about is about 5 years old now and I dont know the policies anymore.

I have two issues, both I've only recently found out can be fixed free of charge (maybe?).

I did not find out until a friend mentioned that they could be replaced for free. He had the same issues and got replacement for both, but this was a year before now. I plan to go to an apple store tomorrow, but would like to know if I'm in for a challenge to get mine fixed.

1. Cracked front edge, apparently a VERY common issue and I've read posts and news stories claiming you can get it fixed out of warranty (certainly in warranty).

2. Slightly bulging battery. I do not know what constitues bulging, but the edge near the lock is bulging, just the very edge. When it started appearing the battery ceased to work. This was years ago, but after the apple care ended so I thought I was SOL. The bulge was noticeably larger than it is now, the middle bulged a bit out, but now its flat and only the edge still bulges out.

Can or should these issues be fixed for free?

Pics don't work for me for some reason.

1. Assuming it's either cracked around your wrist/palm rest or somewhere along the screen. If it's around your hand/wrist then it's a definite fix. Not sure about elsewhere, but probably. Totally free of charge. Apple defect.

2. Again on the unable to see pic part, but I did have a swollen/bulging battery and had it replaced for free outside of warranty. That was about 1.5 years ago, though. Due to the time and dwindling supply of white MB batteries, I would say maybe/doubtful for it being free. I also think the price has increased significantly on said batteries to due to simple supply/demand.

MrOldboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Sorry, images were working but imagehost crapped out.

2edz6rn.jpg

I took it to an apple store, got the top case replaced although their policy is for 4 years after purchase. I went over that by about 6 months or so, I said "well if it was a defect why wasn't I ever notified about the replacement program, you have all my info when I purchased" She left and spoke to a manager I assume, then said that they would do the replacement even though when they entered the serial it came up as not being so.

The battery, I explained the bulge and that I never knew about it could be replaced. Got the blah blah, consumables blah blah. I've read countless threads today after I took it saying they got theirs replaced, my bulge isn't as pronounced as it once was, the middle is flat now but was really bulging before. not to mention this http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

I might try the "why wasn't I notified, this defect was a potential health concern and it happened years ago." Probably a no go, but if anyone else who sees this thread has the same crack on the wrist edge area on the front of the top case, take it in asap as you might get hassled if its been over 4 years from purchase.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I might try the "why wasn't I notified, this defect was a potential health concern and it happened years ago." Probably a no go, but if anyone else who sees this thread has the same crack on the wrist edge area on the front of the top case, take it in asap as you might get hassled if its been over 4 years from purchase.

Yeah, that might be the best route for you with the battery thing. Mention the program and that you weren't aware, might have some luck with that.

I replaced my top case for the second time just after Thanksgiving - 4.5 years after purchase. Had no questions or complaints - immediately just logged it in the system and took my laptop for a day. Then again, different stores - or even Geniuses - equals different responses. The Chicago Michigan Ave one has always aimed to please my issues.

ashabs

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
5 years and 4 months - no go..

Don't know why I waited so long, but it was working fine with the cracks.

Called apple support, and they told me they would replace it.
Took it the LSP and they said that Apple might refuse because it was more than 5 years old.

I was confused, but trusted the guy from Apple, and then the LSP told me Apple refused. They even had me pay the service fee of 85$.

I complained 3 stops in the line of phone calls; all it got me was a Trackpad worth the 85$. I'm a little disappointed, but then again: I was too late.

Macbook2,1 (late 2006).

JSadler

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2012
Nashville
Same issues

I took my Macbook in about 4 months ago because my charger shorted out and zapped my laptop - couldn't get it to even come back on. It was a quick fix. However, the guy noted my topcase and said they would fix it if I left it overnight. He also noted that it had been right at 3 years since purchase, and that if I let it go for another 2 months or so they wouldn't honor the repair. It's not cracked bad, and I don't care for leaving my laptop with strangers, so I opted not to. But I always wondered if he was jerking me around, because, just like on here, I've seen, read, and heard varying lengths of time regarding the "still able to fix it free" deal. My battery is on its last leg...actually far past it, but still hanging on. Never had the bulge issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.