2008 Election thread: Have you voted yet?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Oct 24, 2008.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

As millions of American votes have been cast absentee/early for President/VP, Senators, Congresspeople, and other posts, are you among one of those voters so far who have cast for your candidate(s)? And who did you vote for? If you have not voted yet, or plan to on the 4th, who are your national and local choices?

I am going with Obama, President and splitting parties on my local California races for Sam Farr(D) California for House of Representatives, and Abel Maldonado (R) California for State Senator.

The last time I voted in a national election, it was for a Democratic President and Congressperson, and a Republican Assemblyperson so it was another 2-1 split. 2000 was the last time I voted straight party for major candidates.

2. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

So besides leekohler, Peace, and ucfgrad, who else has voted in this election?

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ha! You already mentioned me. I'm glad I went, the line was long though. I imagine election day is going to be crazy with long lines.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

I voted absentee last week since I'll be gone for the general election. I wrote in a name for president.

5. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    My wife and I voted yesterday. Many of the contests on the ballot here in Mass did not have Republicans (or anyone else on them), so there wasn't a lot to think about, except for the ballot questions.

~ CB

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I voted this evening. Tried this morning, but the line was too long and I had a deadline to meet. Absolutely no line this evening; I arrived about 20 minutes before the office closed. Took my 8 year old son with me.:D

7. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Did he vote :)

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

he's not democrat

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Got my voting done today. I really want a bumper sticker that says "Proudly voting for 'That One' since 2008" almost asked the local democrats parked outside the polling place, but I was with my 4 year old and she was a bit impatient since the line was longer than she would have liked.

11. shecky Guest

shecky

i would have voted already had my state offered early voting.

as it so happens, i live literally next door to my polling place (a school) so i should not have any problems on voting day :)

12. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I am about 2,600 feet away so I will be traveling some. I will vote on the 4th, but my neighbors have all voted as well as have my parents. In my small town of 1800 residents, I have not found one McCain voter but being in a very blue state, that's no surprise.

Anyway, my guess is for Obama with around 350 EVs as I think as of now, 1:45 a.m. EST Sunday. If McCain does great on SNL, he may pick up 20 EVs or so but still lose. :)

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My wife and I voted last week. Permanent absentee status, since we both tend to be busy during the week.

14. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I wish you the best of success in the architecture field, and me being a CP alumni member, though not graduate of that school, ASK for you money to go to CP since CP has NO RESPECT, I mean what does a school need to do to get some respect. :) ... in my best Rodney Dangerfield impression.

I spent 20 years in the Ornamental Horticulture field, one where CP is most known for, and those UC Davis Aggies still have the national west coast "reputation" on that one. It's not fair and the only way us CP Mustangs and former Mustang students can get equal respect with those UC Davis Aggies is to outspend them. Do I sound like a CP rep? :)

They are only, imho, considered the premiere ag school, horticulture school, because of their moniker. They are the UC Davis Aggies, but we should be the CP Aggies, and we can out-Aggie them any day of the week. Most of my co-horts in the AG/Horticulture field in 20 years were CP, not UC Davis.

When somebody does your yard, designs your yard, puts in a drip system, picks out your plants, knows how to navigate city hall in any city over planning disputes, it's always a Mustang where I live, and rarely a UC Davis Aggie alum. :)

What's Davis' ag/hort population in students? 5%?, if that?

When I was CP, 75% of the student body were Ag, Ag business, Ag related chemistry, Horticulture, Landscape Design, MBA/MS Ag business, or MBA/MS Horticulture. We developed many innovations in Ag, Ag business, and Horticulture and are only second to Texas Agriculture and Mechanical (A&M) University, nationwide.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Hell this election is so important I've voted 5 times now!!

thank you very much. I do 3 shows tonight. And remember. The drunker you get the better I sound!!

16. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

any connection with acorn? :)

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nope. Missouri doesn't have early voting, and if you vote absentee, you have to have a good excuse, and get your absentee ballot notarized, which is a pain in the ass.

I'd like to see voting standardized across states. Every single state should be required to have early voting.

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I love corn.:)

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I don't get to vote. In Illinois, if it is your first time voting you have to vote in person. Kind of hard to do from California. :eek:

My fiance, chrmjenkins, will be voting on election day though, since he is a California resident now. His polling place is actually the lobby of our apartment complex!

20. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I voted alreay for Bob Barr for president and McClintock for congress.

22. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Pennsylvania, while still at a strong 7 point lead for Obama, fell from 14 points for Obama. What did McCain do to cut Obama's lead in half? Did anybody see McCain or Obama in Pennsylvania in the last couple of days? And if so, how did they come across?

While the 33.5 hours left makes it look like a clear win for the democrats, McCain's large gain in a battleground state, a blue one at that, may show this to be a last second gain nationwide for McCain. This is what I read from fivethirtyeight.com

However, electoral-vote.com shows an Obama landslide.

Thursday night's CNN poll showed a potentially huge 10 percent gap in favor or Obama. Did that get cut by 3 points as that same poll today shows only a 7 point gap? According to CNN, Sunday's poll is the last one as some states open on Monday, and all states will be open the following day, so no Monday poll from CNN. I really wanted to see a night before poll but oh well. What if McCain gains yet another 3% percent and he's only trailing by 4% percent. Margin of error?

What do you guys think?

23. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I voted for Sideshow Bob. It'll do as much good.

You might as well just have voted for the person that you didn't want to win.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

When a citizen votes their conscience I show them respect. Even though it is a lost vote for Obama or McCain.

25. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'll likely be voting for Bob Barr. But my state is as red as they come so it won't matter at all who I vote for, even Obama (though I'd never do that).

SLC