2008 Macbook Pro Keyboard and Trackpad not working when the battery is in the laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by youarehydrogen, Oct 13, 2010.

1. youarehydrogen macrumors newbie

About a month ago my Macbook Pro keyboard and trackpad stopped working when the battery was in the laptop. However, when I take the battery out and keep it plugged into an wall outlet, there are no problems. A USB external mouse/keyboard work fine, but its not easy to bring them everywhere I need my laptop. This may not be relevant, but when the mouse and trackpad are not working, the screen still dims when I place my hands over the speakers. I have bought a new battery, hoping that was the problem, but it made no difference. I can't check to see if my software is updated, because my software update is also functioning incorrectly. It takes an average of 5 hours for the software update to search, and it always comes up with "no available updates." Any suggestions or recommendations would be great, and very much appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What exactly do you mean "stopped working"? Did it shut down?
    It is not recommended to run your Mac on the A/C adaptor with the battery out (Of course, this only applies to removable batteries.)
    That's because the light sensors used for dimming the keyboard are under the speaker grille. That's normal.
    Have you calibrated the battery? Have you reset the SMC? Instructions for both are here: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
    Try repairing permissions

3. youarehydrogen thread starter macrumors newbie

by "stopped working" I mean that when I start the macbook I am unable to log in to my account because the keyboard and trackpad are unresponsive, so I am unable to enter my password, which is why I am removing the battery, because then the keyboard and trackpad are fully functional.

yes, I have calibrated my battery, but no I have not reset the SMC, but will do it now.