2008 State of the Union

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Kashchei, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I'm interested to know if anyone is interested in (planning to watch) tonight's "5 o'clock follies." The best thing I can think of to say pre-speech is that this is the chimp-in-chief's last one. Our long national nightmare has less than a year to go and W will be more and more of a lame duck as the election picks intensity. These are all good things IMHO.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I'll bet we hear a lot about how we need to invade Iran. Followed closely by the announcement that it has begun.

And no, I'll not be watching it--I'll be running a rehearsal.

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I won't be watching it, but I'll probably read a transcript on the Googletubes.

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I stopped watching this stuff years ago. I'll watch next year, when someone else delivers it.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I can't watch Bush manhandle the English language into a headlock anymore, it's just too awful. I might read a transcript later just to see what the big dummy's going to fail at next.

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

The State of the Union is usually better grammatically, because it's written and then tele-prompted. But it's the egregious ideological assertions that drive me crazy.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I've probably gone off the handle on the above, but I just can't watch the man speak in public.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

just tell us when the check will be arriving. I need to buy a projector.

10. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

i want to hear what george w bush has to say about energy. i am ashamed that he represents our country. i'm sure you all know about him going to saudi arabia and begging for lower gas prices. disgusting.
    when hillary (or any dem for that matter) is president we will stand together as a nation as say to saudis "you keep your oil. you need it. we dont"

11. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

The political analysis I heard over the weekend pointed to W using his final state of the union to attack democrats about being soft on terror by allowing the stopgap FISA agreement to expire at the end of this week. Without retroactive immunity for the telecom companies, we all might all find out all the illegal things that W did while in office and we just can't have that! After all, the interests of the GOP, and this administration in particular, are far more important than the interests of the country.

12. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

By the way, that money is an advance on your tax return. Youll be paying it back come next spring.

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"when hillary (or any dem for that matter) is president we will stand together as a nation as say to saudis "you keep your oil. you need it. we dont" "

Ya wanna put money on that?

'Rat

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

You do realize the percentage of our oil that comes from Saudi Arabia?

15. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

WHAT?!? You honestly don't think the next Democratic president we have won't tell the Saudis what to do with their oil???! Shame on you!
    ;)

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The problem with that is we do need the oil still and will need it for a long time.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

However, a real energy policy designed around new and current technologies with an aim towards reducing or nearly eliminating our oil usage would be nice. It doesn't have to happen tomorrow, but we should have been working towards this goal since the '70s. And, we certainly shouldn't be holding the hands of Wahabbi dictators.

18. walangij macrumors 6502

I just wish that President Bush would go on and just say "I'm Sorry" for all that's happened. I'm completely sure that things didn't go how he planned, and that his neo-con buddies conned him into being their puppet for their interests. Rarely do we hear people blame Wolfowitz or Rumsfield or Tenet.

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Yeah, Naimfan, about 15%, per a quick Google for 2006.

20. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

I have nothing against Bush, it's just that Frank Calliendo does the best impression to show why it is fun to watch the President's speeches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE2fPjskYG8 :D

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Here's the good thing about tonight's state of the union: it's Bush's last one. :D

Hopefully Obama will win the election. I'd actually look forward to watching the State of the Union if he was giving it.

22. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

23. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

yep and i bet we'll get osama too. within a year.

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Unless he starts another war, I wouldnt put much past him and his team of draft dodgers.

25. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe