2008 uMBP upgrade to 8gb RAM and SSD results... Anyone have any?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrXiro, Mar 13, 2011.

1. MrXiro, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Hi all I'm thinking about upgrading my 2.53ghz uMBP to a 256 Crucial C300 RealSSD and 8gb of RAM from Corsair.

I noticed a few of you have had the similar upgrades as I have been looking into so I was curious what were some of the results you all have gotten. Speed, SSD degradation over time, does the extra RAM make things more zippy all around? Was it worth the upgrade?

I'm spending about 485 dollars for all of it... so it seems like I found myself a decent deal.

What do you think?

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I am thinking about doing exactly the same. The RAM is cheap now, I've seen it for less than $100 for 8GB.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the screen flickering problem with your MBP?

3. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I do... I hate it. My mbp would be perfect if it wasn't for the damned flicker.

4. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Just found this... It seemed to have worked for me for now... Remember to plug back in when you reset your pram. Never mind didn't Work.

Before reseting, you need to disconnect all cables, remove battery and press and hold power button for a few seconds. This make sure that there is no power in all chips and settings will not be inherited. Then plugged in power supply. After that I have made PRAM reset (holding ALT+CMD+R+P while it restarts several (or 2 times) times). After that it booted well, no more of this issue

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Yeah, I noticed mine flickering about a week ago, when I switched to "better battery mode". It only does it when I'm using the 9400M. I am debating whether or not to take it in, I don't think there's a fix.

6. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

No there is no fix. I have had this computer for 2 years. Debating on a snb 13 inch mbp but I want to wait for lion to come out.