2009 MBP: Photos app doesn't load all icons...too old for new photos app?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bribri99, Jun 11, 2015.

1. bribri99 macrumors regular

I have a 2009 MBP and everytime I open up photos app, it gets hot and the fan runs like crazy (some photo.coversion) thing. But not only that, not all of the icons load, maybe 90% of them.

Is this because my MBP is too old? Can I fix it or does that mean I need another computer?

2. bribri99 thread starter macrumors regular

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Your MBP is not too old. I've run the photos app on our 2007 iMac with no issues at all and my 2008 MacBook that's very similar to your MBP. Granted I have an SSD in it.

Usually once the conversion is done (it'll take a while with thousands of photos) it's all good. When the previews don't show up can you still click the photo and have it enlarge the photo? If so, it sounds like a bug in the thumbnail cache or something.

Also, do note that you can still use iPhoto/Aperture to open the original library before the Photos app came along and use it like you were before. I'm sticking with Aperture myself because photos comes nowhere close to the organizational power and RAW processing that Aperture has. But for many less demanding users it should work just fine.