2009 Speculation "Apple just announced, “The mouse is dead”!"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gr8ful, Oct 17, 2008.

1. gr8ful macrumors member

1998, the iMac debuts without a floppy disk drive. Apple says, floppy is dead. Too small, too slow, no longer fits the new paradigm.
    2009, the refresh of the iMac and Mac Pro to ship without a mouse. Apple says, the mouse is dead. Too limiting in functionality, no longer fits the new paradigm.

Apple has no doubt put a lot of research time and dollars into multi-touch technology. So far, every implementation has resulted in a very satisfying user experience (iPhone, iPod Touch, MacBook & MBP touchpads). The next step?

Steve made it very clear not to expect a touchscreen MacBook or iMac in the near future. However, could the time be right to announce the death of the mouse by introducing a desktop trackpad not unlike the new glass trackpad just introduced? Has the multi-touch technology advanced far enough for you to consider replacing your mouse with a large, glass, buttonless trackpad?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What a coincidence - I'm about to kill my mighty mouse.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

After watching the cartoons, that little sucker is a mighty PIA to kill.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

OP where are you getting this information about mouseless imacs and mac pros?

5. Purple Pelican macrumors member

Still going strong without a mouse...My Logitech trackball!!!

6. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

I think the mouse definitely has some years left. I agree that it's definitely not the most ergonomic input device, but right now it's the standard. I don't know about you guys, but I can get more done, more quickly, with a mouse then a trackpad.

7. gr8ful thread starter macrumors member

No, no, I'm not trying to mislead or claim that Apple has actually announced this. I am merely posing a hypothetical that I think is very plausible given Apple's history of leading the industry in transitioning away from dying technology and embracing a new direction.

After Steve's keynote and seeing the new trackpad, it seemed to make sense that Apple was doing more than just trying to improve on trackpad technology...they were/are making a statement. "The future is multi-touch and you can't do that with a mouse."

A mouse is limiting because it is nothing more than a single abstract finger. Look at how much faster, more efficient, and even more enjoyable it is to use intuitive multi-touch gestures that now can only be duplicated by using a combination of mouse and keyboard actions (two hands).

Apple has a penchant for doing things that at first seem radical and premature only to be seen later as prophetic and pioneering. I think this is one of those moments. If I'm accurate, I applaud Apple for their boldness.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh I got it.

Anyway I think its more like this: Trackpads for laptops, mice for desktops.

I cant really figure out anything thats gonna take a mouse's thunder soon. Touchscreen on a vertical screen isnt exactly a great thing.

9. dougnewman macrumors 6502

I've gown to prefer a trackpad to a mouse. I've just gotten so used to using it.

10. atomwork macrumors regular

Sounds good. Still use the Mouse for design.. Whatever they do, I am sure they think about their pro customers. I don't want to sketch the logo with my fingers :D

Otherwise I have my 21 wacom Cintiq close by.

11. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Sorry, but the mouse isn't going anywhere. To wit: there's no way I can get the pixel precision I need with a touchpad or a touchscreen when I'm designing in Illustrator or Photoshop. Not to mention that you would lose a lot of screen real estate because all the buttons, controls, and menus would have to be made larger to accommodate fingers.

12. thegilly macrumors member

Each has its place. Ever tried playing Crystal Quest (one of my favourite games of all time) on a trackpad? It's hopeless. You just can't get the same speed, the same acceleration, the same rapid turns, from dragging your finger around a trackpad. I imagine there are analogues in real work too, perhaps in video editing or some such. That said, for everyday computing, interacting with stuff on the desktop (except that drag 'n' drop's still a bit problematic), moving the cursor, clicking into menus, a trackpad is fine--brilliant, even, on a laptop where using the trackpad doesn't require you to move your hand far from the keyboard. I don't see the two technologies as competing directly. They might converge, perhaps by being able to use a stylus on the trackpad for certain tasks?

I do think (hope) the days of having to have a separate keyboard and pointing device for your desktop Mac will soon be over. I would love a wireless keyboard with a built-in trackpad/trackball.

13. Luzzio macrumors regular

Luzzio

A touchscreen 24" iMac?

imac... now comes with exercise.

14. riker1384 macrumors regular

15. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I suspect we will soon have the choice of using a trackpad with a desktop. But I think that is what it will be a choice. Personally I would always choose a mouse over a trackpad. I'm not claiming to be a majority but I think there are too many of people like me for apple to completely do away with mice.
    I might be an idea to put a poll on this thread to see what people prefer.

16. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

yeah, like they thought about the pro customer when they released the mbp with no option for matte?

17. Josso macrumors member

I really think that I would love to have a trackpad with the double size of the new Macbook Pro's.
    Doing normally internet surfing, that would be pretty nice. :)

And if I should use something more pixel-for-pixel I could use a stylus. :p

18. gr8ful thread starter macrumors member

You and others have presented good arguments why declaring the mouse dead may be a bit premature, but I think the mouse is definitely on the downside of it's life. I personally would love a trackpad for my iMac. The new gestures make navigating around the desktop much easier and more enjoyable than with a mouse.

What Apple is doing in this area is truly revolutionary and I am anxious to see where they take it next.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Then why does your thread title say, "Apple just announced, 'The mouse is dead'!" :confused:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

20. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I agree strongly that Apple will bring its multi-touch technology to the desktop computer via some kind of tablet thingy. In changing the way users act, they change the way they think, and that change will eventually come to the desktop.
    But that doesn't mean the mouse is dead. Just optional.

21. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Aaah, okay, your title is misleading. We thought that Apple actually announce the the mouse is dead...

22. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

If anything, Apple is killing firewire... albeit slowly.

Although, it is possible that Apple could come up with some sort of keyboard/trackpad combo for the desktops and implement that kind of technology. Many MANY bricks would be thrown through Apple head-quarter's windows afterwards, but it is possible.

23. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Apple has plenty of reason to want the mouse to die.

Look at these total failures.

Attached Files:

24. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I killed one of my three that I own a few months back. I replaced it with a Microsoft Mouse.

I don;t know if I would be able to get rid of using a mouse altogether though.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't see the mouse going anywhere soon.