2009 Unibody for $500 Trackpad DOESNT CLICK...SHOULD I BUY IT?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jimithing, Mar 1, 2011.

1. jimithing macrumors member

2009 White Unibody Macbook for $500. Trackpad Doesn't physically "click" but the cursor moves the ouse around, He just explains it as it is not able to push down to select anything.

I asked if there was any water damage or spills and he said no.

I however will be bringing my handy tool set to make sure the water indicators aren't pink or red.

My question to you, is
    1. Is 500 a good deal, or a great deal? what is it worth AT LEAST?
    2. Where are the indicators located inside the macbook?
    3. has anyone experienced this problem and can confirm its not a water damage problem
    4 Does anyone think it IS a water damage problem, and give your reasoning.

THANKS!

2. Bizzaro macrumors newbie

Could be the battery bulging and it's pushing up on the trackpad. Happened to mine a while ago.

3. jimithing thread starter macrumors member

that happened to your unibody? I have heard this happens in older macbook's but not the unibody, as it uses the same battery and internal setup basically as a macbook pro.

please clarify. thank you.

4. AndyK, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

I wouldn't.

Save a bit more, get a new one then pimp it yourself ready for Lion awesomeness.

5. hjf macrumors newbie

I had that problem with a trackpad and I used some WD-40 on it and it works just fine now.

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I have the late 2008 unibody macbook 5.1 and this happened to me. Very easy to diagnose and fix. Took it into the apple store, they removed the battery which was completely bulging, replaced it for free, put it a new one, problem immediately solved without any other damage or residual issues. As long as that's the only issue it's probably a good deal because a new battery is $100 so you're paying $600. I would take out the battery and see if that's the cause though before buying it because if it isn't then who knows what the problem is.

7. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

I'm looking at this from a couple different directions-

Even if it's not the battery, and it's something too costly for you to pay to have it fixed I have no doubt that you could sell it to someone (for $500) that would A) always use an external mouse or B) Just use it as a desktop-closed lid.

My last thought is
    Trackpad cant be that expensive to fix, right? You could probably order the part and do the job yourself to save some money.

8. alfmil macrumors regular

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No. No. No. No. No. and No. Adding liquid to electronics = FAIL.

10. SerrQ macrumors member

SerrQ

11. ozred macrumors 6502

12. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

wait, there should be a refresh sooner or later. or save up and buy the current gen. and like AndyK said, pimp it for Lion awesomeness!