Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google tonight updated its Maps app, adding food delivery support for popular services like Grubhub, Seamless, Eat 24 and more. The update also makes it easier for users to find plus codes and to take and add photos within the app.

googlemaps-800x711.jpg

Food delivery support is available on many restaurant pages within Google Maps. There's a new "Place an order" option above the restaurant's phone number and below the menu. When users click the option, they'll be presented with a choice of food delivery services that support that restaurant.

The new option is currently limited based on country, and not all restaurants are supported. If there's only a single food delivery service listed for a restaurant, Maps will list it in a lighter font color next to "Place an order." Once clicked, the app will instantly boot the user to that app.

Additionally, Google has made it simpler to figure out plus codes, which are location identifiers. Just drop a pin anywhere, swipe up the "location card" and click on the unique code, which will instantly be copied to iOS' clipboard. The plus code can then be easily shared with friends or family.

Finally, Google has also streamlined the ability to add and take photos within the app. There's now an "add photo" option under the photos of an established location, like a restaurant or business. The app now allows you to either take a photo directly or import a photo from the user's library.

Google Maps for iOS is available on the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Maps Adds Food Delivery Support in New Update

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I feel like I know how this would go if it were Apple Maps...

Order food. Food never shows up.

Hang out with friend/neighbor the next day. I tell my neighbor, "Man, I tried out that new food delivery feature in Apple Maps. Doesn't work!"

My neighbor: "Oh, believe me, that food tasted great."

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I'm not familiar with these named services, are they American only?

So if I understand correctly it just links through to another app, a bit like file associations. Not particularly impressive.

Who scrolls around their maps looking for places to order food from?

What's in it for Google, the app owner, the restaurant and the consumer?

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I'm not familiar with these named services, are they American only?

So if I understand correctly it just links through to another app, a bit like file associations. Not particularly impressive.

Who scrolls around their maps looking for places to order food from?

What's in it for Google, the app owner, the restaurant and the consumer?

Looks like it, yes.

I'be said this elsewhere several times previously and I really wish Apple would integrate OpenTable over here in the U.K. to the Maps app.

Being met with "I'm sorry. I can't make restaurant reservations in the United Kingdom" five years later is laughable.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Seriously, you have never once used maps to find a restaurant / takeaway? I know I have.

Besides, even if people never have, doesn't mean they never will.

Never for a takeaway because it's totally pointless, you need to know if they deliver to your address and the catchment area is too large. And never for a restaurant when deciding where to go, only how to get there. Seriously.

Using a mapping app and aimlessly scrolling back and forth, clicking into each individual restaurant is crazy for such a task and the most incredibly inefficient way to do it. Just Eat or Hungryhouse for takeaways. TripAdvisor for restaurants.

Last edited:

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
I already use an app for delivery. You open the app and it uses your location(s) if not bookmarked already.

You see all offers/discounts, restaurants. You can see which one is open... To order, just a few clicks.

Don't see much use to include that in Maps unless it turns to "food delivery mode".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.