2010 11" Macbook Air - to DVI Monitor.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by raymondkerr, Oct 25, 2011.

1. raymondkerr macrumors regular

I used to use my HP2310i DVI monitor on my iMac using a DVI to Mini Display Port Adapter. However I have just sold my iMac, and in the meantime I am using my MBA 11" 2010 model (no TB) until I get a new desktop, I have unplugged the DVI-to Mini Display Port adapter and noticed that the DP plug is too big to fit in the MBA, do you get Micro Display Port adapters so that I can connect my HP Monitor to the MBA ?

I'm a little confused ???:confused:

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

That is indeed puzzling, since the MBA has a miniDisplayPort interface.

Do you have any way to attach pictures of the cable and the port on the 2010 11" MBA showing the mismatch?

3. tmoerel macrumors 6502

Are you sure the iMac had a Minidisplay port and not a Mini DVI port. Mini DVI connectors are bigger and do not fit in the mba. You will need to get a Mini display port to DVI adapter instead.

4. raymondkerr thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah there must be more than one size of mini display port, or apple have changed the plug since the 20" imacs in 2008. I'll try and post a picture today when i get home. Looking on apple.con, i'm not sure which cable has yhe smaller plug as on the mba 11".

----------

Ah, that might be the problem, maybe i assumed the imac connector was mini display port, when it might actually be a mini DVI. Either way i'll go to my local apple store at the weekend and hopefully get the correct cable.

Thanks. For your help.

5. redache macrumors member

If you look here you can see that the iMac has a mini-DVI connector which is different to a MiniDP connector.

6. raymondkerr thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it would appear that I have thought that Mini-DVI is Mini Display Port which it isnt. Here is a picture of my connector from the old iMac and the macbook air.

[​IMG]

looks like I'll be visiting the apple store this weekend. Thanks again folks for your help.

Raymond