2010 i5 MacBook Pro for £824? Or the new one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by K-SAN, Apr 20, 2011.

1. K-SAN macrumors newbie

So I can buy last year's Macbook Pro Core i5 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 15-inch for £824 here in Japan.

Wanting to upgrade from my 2008 Macbook and trying to decide what to go for.

I can also get the new entry 15" Macbook Pro for about £1,300 but with 8GB of RAM.

Not fussed about the HDD size since I'll probably get a 256GB SSD.

Thoughts? Worth getting the new one or the old one.

Oh, I basically use Lightroom and Bloomberg Professional (via bootcamp and Windows). Apart from that, Chrome, and Photoshop CS5.

Thanks for the help...

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Can't speak of Lightroom or Bloomberg, but Chrome and Photoshop will run great. I am fairly certain that Lightroom and Bloomberg will run fine, that 15" for £824 is a very good deal.

3. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    £824 is an absolute bargain! How long is left on the warranty and how's the condition? Is it a 2nd hand re-sale or a refurb model direct from apple

For me, i really wanted TB and SB as i had been lusting after the sata 6gb/s drives and i regretted not getting a 17" with the faster GPU, processor and the bigger high res screen!

Each to their own

4. K-SAN thread starter macrumors newbie

It's brand new. Tons of shops here in Japan that sell machines at discounts to store prices. The Macbook I'm on now (not the 2008 one mentioned above) I picked up about £150 less than price and it was the new version. Full warranty etc and have sent back to the Apple Store once for a new HDD.

Not as worried about the 17" since I'll probably get a Apple display to go with it down the line. Now I'm thinking more about the NEW base 13" and checked the prices and can get it for £659. That is an awesome price so thinking I'll go with that one. I can jack in a SDD and I'll be around £850 for a Super portable 13" that should plug into the cinema display nicely.