2010 iMac's i3 3.06ghz vs 2011 13" MBP's i5 2.3ghz Sandy Bridge, which is faster?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrXiro, Apr 5, 2011.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I've read that the new MBP's Sandy Bridge processors are much faster and more efficient than that of previous generations. With the highest end MBP being faster than some current gen Mac Pros.

I'm curious how the newest low end 13 inch MBP compares to the low end 21.5 inch iMac that came out last year as far as processing power and speed. Let's say for Final Cut Pro editing. Is the low end MBP as/more/less powerful than the base 2010 iMac?

Any thoughts?

2. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

The graphics card in the imac is better and the harddrive is bigger and faster.

IDK about the actual difference in the processor speed but the i5 macbook pro goes up using hyperthread from the original 2.3 to 2.9 if i am correct. so the seems faster.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

In benchmarks the MBP is slightly faster, however I don't believe that you would see full performance with turbo boost frequency while doing renders, so it would likely amount to being equivalent. Personally, I'd suggest waiting for the upcoming revision of iMacs, which will have sandy bridge and one up the current MBPs.

5. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Oh I already own the iMac... I'm just curious about the Sandy Bridge processors... I would put an SSD in it if I were to get one.

I know about the video card... but gpu has less to do with video rendering than processor speed and RAM itself.

Mostly just curious how much more (if it is) faster the new SnB processors are compared to the iMacs... solely based on the benchmarks I've heard about how fast they are.

I have a 2.53 ghz C2D uMBP from late 2008 with 8gb of RAM and SSD. Seeing if I were to get the low end 13 inch and put in the 8gb RAM and SSD into it if it will be as fast at rendering than the hyper-threading 3.06ghz i3 on my iMac.

I know the SSD would make reads and writes faster. Just wanting to know processor info is all.

6. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Think I got my answer! Just ever so slightly. Thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011)
    Intel Core i5-2415M 2.3 GHz (2 cores) 6482

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010)
    Intel Core i3 540 3.07 GHz (2 cores) 6363

I'm going to wait for Ivy Bridge and Lion... but I just wanted to quench my curiosity.