2010 MBP 17 w/SSD to 2010 MBA 13 Ultimate Downgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cherishzm, Jul 25, 2011.

1. cherishzm macrumors regular

I just can't help myself wanting to have the sleek MBA as my main machine. Being a value seeker, I can't justify spending $1600 plus tax on a ultimate MBA 13 and suffer the fast depreciation, but would feel little better with $1000 for a used 2010 ultimate MBA 13. I mainly use the MBP 17 for MS Office for Mac, working on web-based ERP, web browsing, light photo editing and Quickbooks on Windows 7 via Parallels VM. I don't play games on it or do heavy video/photo editing at all.

I'll need to use an external monitor (24" or 27") with the MBA at work but using the MBA at home will be much easier than using the much heavier and bigger MBP 17. I find myself using the MBP 17 on a breakfast table all the time and hardly move it around due the comparably large size. I love the anti-glare high-resolution screen of the MBP and fast speed from i7 2.66GHz+8GB RAM+SSD but I don't think I need all that power and C2D processor and 4GB RAM may be sufficient for my needs. If I did get the used ultimate MBA 13, l'd probably keep it for a year or so and upgrade to a newer MBA then.

Would I notice much slow down on what I do? Would 4GB enough for running Windows 7 on VM? I just don't want to downgrade to the MBA and regret it soon.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

3. cherishzm thread starter macrumors regular

Have you used MBP 17 at all? I see you have a MBP 13 which is not much bigger than the MBA 13.

4. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

I think you nailed it! It would be the "Ultimate Downgrade"!

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Not personally, but I mean, if you are currently using it in a portable manner, then you obviously can continue to do so. Your 17'' is much better in terms of hardware, and is a much better value in my opinion, in which case I would keep it over switching to an Air.

However, you seem pretty set on just having the look of someone who owns an Air, or having the "sleekness" of it, so I mean, go for it if it's your preference. I'm just telling you what I would do in this situation. I would rather keep a 17'' laptop that is worth more money and is much more capable than having a 13'' Air and an external monitor. However, the Air should be able to handle your current usage, so get it if it's what you want.

6. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

I would think the 13 would keep it's value much better than the 11. An 11 will feel like a netbook whereas the 13 is a standard size.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would offer my suggestion that you that you should keep your 17", but I don't own the 17" MacBook Pro either, so I guess my opinion does not qualify for your heavenly ears.