2010 MBP - Any Good Port Replicators on the market?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MoLiva, Sep 15, 2010.

1. MoLiva macrumors newbie

So I've been using my MBP as a portable desktop for a few years now. I have a bluetooth mouse/keyboard, external display, speakers, etc that I hook it up to when I'm at home.

So, I'm starting to grow very weary of unplugging my MBP every morning to take it to school, then hooking up everything again when I get home. Now i know there are no first party dock options for Macs, but I have seen a few port replicators on the market. Most of them are crappy, and others that are not so crappy aren't going to fit my needs.

Henge Docks makes a very nice one that I would jump on in an instant, only that the way my desk is set up I cannot have the computer standing up vertically, it must remain horizontal to fit, so that one is out of the question. It doesn't even need to be a dock, just a single piece I can plug into all the side ports of the MBP that would keep all the individual cables connected together.

Has anyone come across anything that isn't terrible?

2. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

There aren't really all that many around that suit the new unibody MBP ports other than the Henge Dock - you could still buy a Henge Dock and hack it so it is horizontal rather than vertical, I believe it's simply made out of a plastic material.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

boy I should really just bite the bullet and start developing a clean solution as described in OP. But no one seems interested (and I don't have the expertise).

4. bamf macrumors 6502

I'd love to get a Henge Dock, but they don't have the 15" model in stock yet. If there is anything else out there it would be fantastic.

I used to have a Kensington USB dock when I had a Dell that did not have a port replicator option. They may still have something that would work, but for me I think that Henge Dock would be the best.

5. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

I honestly think Hengedock is scam. They've been touting their wares forever but have never actually started selling it. Which is a shame as it would be the perfect solution for many of us.:(

6. tmsmedic macrumors newbie

Maybe I am lucky, but I pre-ordered 2 weeks ago, received notification Sunday, and am scheduled to receive it today. Based on my interaction with them so far, they appear to be trying to do things right. Too often new companies get overwhelmed and can be a shooting star.

I have a 13" MBP. Hopefully the 15 and 17 will come out soon.

7. bamf macrumors 6502

Hopefully so. I've got an Arc dock now, but too am getting tired of plugging everything in at work each day.

Let us know how you like the Henge Dock once you get it. Actual feedback from non "reviewers" is nice to get.

8. tmsmedic macrumors newbie

I am truly SATISFIED with the Henge Dock. Our company uses PCs, but I use my Mac, so this makes it very easy to pick up and leave. I also have a Bluetooth Track Pad and Keyboard. I use a Lenovo monitor (extra one at the office) and I am set.

All I do is put the Mac to sleep and lift and go.

Set up was easy. I was concerned that the Mac would be difficult to line un to two USB ports, display adapter and power cable, but it really fits very well.

I haven't tried, but I don't think the design will allow the Mac to be placed at an angle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. citizenal macrumors regular

Wow, that looks really nice, can't wait for the 15 inch to become available.