2010 MBP screen shutting off/going blank to one color

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by audreyd, Jun 15, 2011.

1. audreyd, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

audreyd macrumors newbie

Hi everyone-

Please excuse me because I'm not super tech savvy.

I bought a MacBook Pro in Nov 2009 and had no problems with it. Amazing computer. Then I accidentally spilled tea into it Nov 2010. Unsalvageable. I had Black Tie Protection at Best Buy and got a brand new MBP.

Shortly after I started having weird issues with the monitor. I've tried to look this up but it seems the issues are having to do with an external display, which I'm not using.

Has anyone had or know of issues with:
    - screen going blank
    - screen turning gray, pink, another solid color

I have to hold the power button to make it restart in order to get anywhere. The screen just goes blank, I can't do anything.

I've also had sporadic issues with:
    - crashing - mouse/trackpad are unresponsive, I have to restart

Also:
    - the body BURNING UP on the side closer to the top of the keyboard (not the lower side near the trackpad)
    - power cord BURNING UP when it's plugged into an extension cord and not directly into a wall

If anyone has any input on this, please let me know. I had no issues with the original MBP I bought. This one is brand new and has had issues on and off. I use it for work so I'd rather try to troubleshoot instead of taking it in.

Is there something I should know about maxing out CPU usage or overheating that is making the monitor shut off?

I usually use my laptop with the brightness near or all the way up since it's hard for me to see otherwise, but lately I've tried to turn down the light up keyboard or turn it off completely to see if that helps.

other info:
    13" aluminum
    using OSX 10.6.7
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

THANKS!!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Getting hot is normal. Just don't put it on your lap. You can also get one of those fan mats that plug into the USB port that Best Buy offers.

I seem to recall seeing that there were software updates and/or firmware updates for the discolored video issue that you're describing. Have you run Software Update?

If you have, and it's under warranty, take it in. You can't replace a logic board yourself under warranty.