2010 mpb 13 v 2011 mbp 15 2.2 i7 imovie.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ijustdontknow?, Jun 27, 2011.

1. ijustdontknow? macrumors newbie

Jun 27, 2011
    HI All!

I am on my third mac computer and so far have been having a great run.

I have a questions.. My previous two macs (2009 24in imac 3.06 duo 4gb and 2010 MBP 13 inch 2.4 duo 4gb) have been good. But on reading the reviews on the latest 2011 macbook pro and how fast they were I have upgraded to the MBP 15inch 2.2 i7 with 8gb ram. Primarily for video editing. It looks good.. but the screen has been a bit juddery and freezes on certain movies in imovie and quicktime. ( I am aware of many issues with this model)

I have spent the best part of a week dealing with applecare and every person has a different solution. After 2 complete reinstalls I am not too happy with this new computer.

I have another issue too that I am curious about......

After a fresh complete install. When downloading HD movies from my sony xr520 video camera. This is no quicker than my old 2010 machine. When it starts to download the movies it states (time to finish) it is going to be doing it in a 1/3 of the time, but gets bogged down and takes the same as my pissy little 2010 machine. Even generating thumbnails is no quicker!

Is this something to do with the way hyper threading is setup or is it just this laptop is faulty?

2009 imac 24 3.06 duo 4gb ram
    2010 mbp 13 2.4 duo 4gb ram
    2011 mbp 15 i7 2.2 8 gb ram
  2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

Jul 9, 2009
    well are you connecting the camera via usb? If so, that's the bottle neck, and no mac will be faster than any other since there is only so much bandwidth usb can provide.

The other problem could be if iMovie doesn't support multiple cores, however even if that were the case you shouldn't really see diminished results since it can turbo boost to pretty high clock speeds on a single core.