2011 13" maxed-out MBA (Sandy Bridge i7) vs. 2012 13" base MBA (Ivy Bridge i5)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by blumpkin, Jul 3, 2012.

1. blumpkin macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2011
    Has anyone done a comparison of the two? I've looked pretty thoroughly, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I can't seem to find it anywhere on the tubes.

I had a maxed out 2011 MBA and sold it (long story). I missed it a lot, so I went to the Apple store a couple of days ago and picked up a base 2012 just to see what was up. Still feels lightning quick to me... Haven't used it nearly as much as my 2011, but so far I think it's identical. One thing I've noticed is that boot/shut down times are even faster (I know that's not a basis for thorough comparison, jus' sayin').
  2. mikeray macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I know they did use a faster ssd for the 2012 so that makes sense
  3. KPOM macrumors G5

Oct 23, 2010
    From a CPU perspective, this year's i5 is pretty comparable to last year's i7. The i7 last year had a maximum turbo boost of 2.9GHz. This year's i5 has a maximum turbo boost of 2.8GHz. The Ivy Bridge processor also has a much better integrated graphics processor.
  4. Ptdr macrumors member

Feb 25, 2011
  5. Oli3000 macrumors regular

Apr 20, 2009
    Geekbench for memory/CPU essentially identical, but you get faster SSD, USB3 and faster graphics (and theoretically better battery life). So yah, 2012 base.