2011 13" maxed-out MBA (Sandy Bridge i7) vs. 2012 13" base MBA (Ivy Bridge i5)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by blumpkin, Jul 3, 2012.

1. blumpkin macrumors regular

Has anyone done a comparison of the two? I've looked pretty thoroughly, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I can't seem to find it anywhere on the tubes.

I had a maxed out 2011 MBA and sold it (long story). I missed it a lot, so I went to the Apple store a couple of days ago and picked up a base 2012 just to see what was up. Still feels lightning quick to me... Haven't used it nearly as much as my 2011, but so far I think it's identical. One thing I've noticed is that boot/shut down times are even faster (I know that's not a basis for thorough comparison, jus' sayin').

2. mikeray macrumors regular

I know they did use a faster ssd for the 2012 so that makes sense

3. KPOM macrumors G5

From a CPU perspective, this year's i5 is pretty comparable to last year's i7. The i7 last year had a maximum turbo boost of 2.9GHz. This year's i5 has a maximum turbo boost of 2.8GHz. The Ivy Bridge processor also has a much better integrated graphics processor.

4. Ptdr macrumors member

5. Oli3000 macrumors regular

Geekbench for memory/CPU essentially identical, but you get faster SSD, USB3 and faster graphics (and theoretically better battery life). So yah, 2012 base.