2011 17"/8gig ram with 512gb SSD makes a strange quiet squeal...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by audieddie, Mar 17, 2011.

1. audieddie, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

audieddie macrumors newbie

it comes from the left speaker area, like a noisy choke (not a buzz, but a high pitched, quiet whine), and seems to change frequency/pitch with certain cpu or I/O operations. Nothing seems to be in this area (looked at the fixit teardown), and as noted, everything on this is solid state - no HD noise to blame it on. Its not the fan. Seems to be more noticeable with graphics intensive activity perhaps. It isn't there all the time, only pops up on occasion.

Anyone else noticing this that has a similar mbp?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Got the 2011 MBP 17" 4GB and 512GB SSD. No noise that I noticed.

Waiting awhile to order / add RAM to see how the default app apple config works.

3. Cyberheart macrumors member

Cyberheart

I know what your talking about i had that same noise when i bought my kingston SSD its not going to go away it comes from the power supply of the SSD..its normal you just have to get used to it...

4. audieddie thread starter macrumors newbie

Heh, figures. runs perfectly fine otherwise. I may do some more testing to see what it is, maybe feedback to the speaker. I'm thinking maybe a noisy charging circuit, since the power connection is right in that area. Not gonna worry until it gets really noticeable, unless this is more prevalent.

btw, this thing SCREAMS along - I'm coming off of a late 2006 15" mbp 2.33 C2D, and this machine is blistering quick.

5. audieddie thread starter macrumors newbie

And confirmed. I can reproduce it by putting something in the trash then emptying it. Goes away when activity stops. It is louder than the normal 2k fan speed, notlouder, just noticeable. It's I/O related to the activity on the SSD. Funny, I would think ssd's would be silent.

6. Arthur Young macrumors newbie

it's the squeal of joy from owning a fully loaded 17'' mbp...

7. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

It is the sound of a computer that score OVER 9000 on GeekBench purring

8. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

a quiet squeal?

take it to Apple, pronto. it's likely a capacitor on your motherboard. possible the PSU.

if you remove the external power plug, do you still hear it? If not, it's related to the PSU. if you do still hear it, it's likely a capacitor that may be problematic.

9. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

I think I'm experiencing something similar (17" MBP with SSD here): When I put my ear to the left speaker, I hear a very, very quiet buzz that definitely isn't the fan spinning. Note: it's not a squeal, but really a buzz. However, it's so quiet that it neither bothers nor alarms me - I can really only hear it if I put my ear very close to the speaker grille.

10. audieddie, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

audieddie thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually it's more like a low static sound. Goes away when I/O traffic stops. I can reproduce it by making a text file, saving it, then throwing it in the trash. It's louder than the fan when it's turning at 2k. Like I said it stops when I/O traffic to the drive stops.

Not too worried about it, since I got a year to get it taken care of, but was curious if anyone else that had an SSD noticed this sound. I'm actually thinking it's just the left speaking picking up some RF from the board.

11. electronique macrumors 6502

Maybe you have too good a hearing?
    Wouldnt all electronic components make some sort of noise - Even if it is out of the dynamic range of human hearing.?

12. audieddie thread starter macrumors newbie

My wife would not agree with your opinion of my hearing.

Yeah, it's some kind of RF from what I can see. it'll kick in with certain activity then go off like the speaker was muted - I'm thinking it's fine, just the left speaker isn't as shielded as the right.

13. eron, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

eron macrumors 6502

I have the same issue with my 17" MBP with aftermarket SSD. Noise/whine/buzz/squeal goes away when I unplug the power. Changed back to original drive, and the noise goes away. Have another Apple 85w charger. Does the same thing.

Is it an issue that can be fixed by Apple?
    Should I send it in with my aftermarket SSD?