2011 i7 macbook pro getting VERY hot after 8gb ram and OWC data doubler install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slipstitchpass, Sep 20, 2011.

1. slipstitchpass macrumors newbie

hi everyone,

i just completed an install of an OWC data doubler along with a 120 GB sad. I installed 8gb of ram as well in place of the stock 4gb.

computer is running GREAT, but seems to be VERY hot as well. Its mostly over the top left side of the keyboard and over the left speaker.

CPU temp is right around 80c most of the time...even when doing pretty much nothing (web, iTunes, etc.)

is this normal? the fans aren't going out of control and computer runs great. i just worry about the heat as i used to be able to use the computer on my lap no problem, and now its really too hot to keep there.

thanks in advance for the help!!!

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Usually CPU temp relates directly to CPU usage... open activity monitor and find out what % of your CPU you are using. On my MBP when I'm using all 4 virtual cores (2.66 i7) it can get up to over 100C, so 80 isn't so bad unless it is doing that at idle then something is wrong.

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Try SMC and PRAM reset. If you haven't done it yet, you should. You need to do it after any hardware changes or upgrade. :)